Unanswered: tab delimited dump file

is there a way to extract tab delimited data from oracle 8i so that i can view it with microsoft exel as a spreadsheet?

i tried exp.exe but it seems the file it produces generates weird characters

in short, i need something 'simple' like the bcp.exe of sybase and mssql2k

source db:
    oracle 8i on windows server 2000

client software
    oracle 9i on winxp

btw, the closest i can go is using the trial version of toad, problem is, i have like 100s of tables, so it means i have to extract it 1 by 1

and also i tried embarcadero dbartisan, problem is it gives quotes for characters, i must avoid the quotes...
    Last edited by Jonga; 03-24-06 at 21:03.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Wouldn't it be simpler to define an ODBC data source in Excel & point to Oracle?
    Why do you want to go out to flat files?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonga
    ... and also i tried embarcadero dbartisan, problem is it gives quotes for characters, i must avoid the quotes...
    Of course you can use quotes in excel. Name your file anything but csv and the import wizard in excel will start up. Tell it you have quotes and everything works.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

@ana

sorry, i didn't really want to view it in exel, i just need flat files, i need to extract billions of rows and place it on a non-oracle fast warehouse db. using SQL insert will fill up transaction logs so i am planning bulk loading

@beil
    same @ana
    btw, for the meantime, i used unix cat command to eliminate the quotes, windows notepad will take years to 'replace all' quotes

the real question here is the proper use of exp.exe to extract
    not to view oracle data in exel, sorry for not explaining properly

followup
    is there a significant issue when using 9i's exp.exe and getting the data from 8i?

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    http://wisdomforce.com/dweb/index.php

I have no affillation with this company other than experimenting with their FastReader oriduct.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

You can NOT use export. That application can only read or write to an oracle database and is used for data transfer or archiving. It will NOT work with anything but oracle. Why don't you establish a database link between the two servers and push or pull the data. What is the non-oracle database, we may be able to give better info if we know more about your problem.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    You can NOT use export. That application can only read or write to an oracle database and is used for data transfer or archiving. It will NOT work with anything but oracle. Why don't you establish a database link between the two servers and push or pull the data. What is the non-oracle database, we may be able to give better info if we know more about your problem.
    it really doesn't matter what other database i use, i can use MSSQL or ASE, or Sybase IQ, the point is i will not resort to simple insert statements to transfer data since it will haggle a great amount of resources. unlike if i use bulk loading, its fast and it will not need my other database to connect to the live oracle server since i cannot do that due to license agreements and warranties.

so to simplify:
    1.) we cannot connect a third party application or software or another oracle instance directly to the "warrantied" oracle server.
    2.) we can only use the oracle server itself and its products to get data (readonly login).
    3.) largest table consists around 10 billions of rows

what we are trying to do here is to create a warehouse database that we can use and modify and involve data that were not included in the "warrantied" oracle database. This is by using tabdelimited files per table. And for me to be informed well about exp.exe of oracle, i'm an oracle dummy btw