Question Unanswered: AutoFilling from another field in a previous record

Hello,

I have searched, for autofill, and found some useful information.
    Except the info I was searching for.
    I have made a Cash Register form database. In the Morning we count the money and insert the information into the database. and then at the end of the day, I have anothe row of fields that we recount and put in the info. The form calculates, everything, and tells us if it is over or short

Now
    The next day, we have to put in the information, which is usually the same information we put in at the end of the day before. Example Day 1 end of day we put in 5 Tens, 21 Fives, 96 Ones, so on

and then the next morning, we start a new record, and if no one messes with the cash drawer during the night, we would put in 5 Tens, 21 Fives, 96 Ones, and so on

Now the Question
    How do I Autofill the Current Days Cash AM Fields with the Previous records Cash PM Fields?

Thank you

Provided Answers: 59
    you will need to save the data soemwhere, where somewhere is depends on you
    you could put it in a tabel, a flat file - doesn't really matter.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

My information is saved in register.mdb. with a form that we use to put the info in. The form works well like it is, just want to automate it a little bit.

I can attach a copy of the form if you need to look at it.

Provided Answers: 19
    Because of the nature of this operation, I suspect you really should count the cash and enter the numbers each day. Human nature being what it is, someone is going to simply click a button or accept the "autofill" as it appears, regardless of the actual cash in the drawer! This is a recipe for a disaster, and unsupportable when the CPAs come around!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Autofill

The easiest way I found to autofill (providing you're not closing and opening the form) is to write the current values to an unbound text box on the form. Then when you go to a new record (i.e. via a button), set the default value (or actual value) of the fields you want to populate to the unbound text box. I think you could also utilize the sendkey command to get the values of the previous record. But this won't get you the values from the previous night. This would probably require writing to a temp table as healdem stated.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 03-27-06 at 10:02.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

hmm,
    Well I understand about counting the cash. There has been times our boss would come in and take some out or put more in the night before, but most of the time, no one touches it.
    I will have to search around some more.. If not, guess we'll keep doing what we have been doing..

Thank you

Here is a screen shot of the register form I made. It shows yesterdays 4/10 totals for our register, and today's 4/11 starting register count.

The red box on the yesterdays record is the information we transfer into today's record, marked also by a red box.
    If there was a way to autofill that, it would be wonderful. I hope the screenshots help out.

The way we count money is by the number of things, not just a total. Example.. Instead $50 in fives, we count 10 fives, and put 10 in the box. the other box calculates 10*5 and displays the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails daybefore.JPG   dayafter.JPG  

I would go with healdem's suggestion and make a "default" table of the values. Store the values you wanted defaulted in this table for the next day. Then when the next day comes around, retrieve the default values from this table to the form.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq
    Because of the nature of this operation, I suspect you really should count the cash and enter the numbers each day. Human nature being what it is, someone is going to simply click a button or accept the "autofill" as it appears, regardless of the actual cash in the drawer! This is a recipe for a disaster, and unsupportable when the CPAs come around!
    I don't mean to skirt your question, but I whole-heartedly agree with the above statement.

If there is a problem at the end of the day, how do you intend to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that any shortages at the end of the day weren't already present before the day began? If the situation turned ugly in a legal sense, you have nothing to stand on.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***