Thread: Nls_date_format

Unanswered: Nls_date_format

Where in the database is NLS_DATE_FORMAT contained? And how to change it in a running database?

Provided Answers: 4
    Check this document to view information about NLS_DATE_FORMAT parameter; also, here are links to examples etc. contained in Oracle Documentation.

In addition to Littlefoot's links, in order to know which value is used for NLS_DATE_FORMAT at the database level, instance level or session level, you can respectively query NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS, NLS_INSTANCE_PARAMETERS and NLS_SESSION_PARAMETERS. For example at the session level :

Code:
    rbaraer@Ora10g> column parameter format a20
    rbaraer@Ora10g> column value format a20
    rbaraer@Ora10g> select * from nls_session_parameters where parameter='NLS_DATE_FORMAT';

PARAMETER            VALUE
    -------------------- --------------------
    NLS_DATE_FORMAT      DD/MM/RR

rbaraer@Ora10g>
    If some NLS parameter is not set at the session level (via the NLS_LANG environment variable or ALTER SESSION), then the instance value will be used if it is set at instance level (in the pfile or spfile or via ALTER SYSTEM), otherwise the database value will be used (specified at database creation).

To see the current values of NLS_PARAMETERS you can also query V$NLS_PARAMETERS :

Code:
    rbaraer@Ora10g> select * from v$nls_parameters where parameter='NLS_DATE_FORMAT';

PARAMETER            VALUE
    -------------------- --------------------
    NLS_DATE_FORMAT      DD/MM/RR

rbaraer@Ora10g>
    HTH & Regards,

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .

As initialization parameters on the server

You can include parameters in the initialization parameter file to specify a default session NLS environment. These settings have no effect on the client side; they control only the server's behavior.
    http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/c...v.htm#i1005949

I overlooked to specify that I want to see the default NLS_DATE_FORMAT in DB server. Where is the initialization parameter file to be found?

edit: after RBARAER's answer, my above question seems less and less cogent. Thank you guys.
    Last edited by Ikviens; 03-27-06 at 04:09.