Question Unanswered: Recovery In Postgresql

I have two questions:

1. In Postgresql, what is the name of the exact DATAFILE under the DATA DIRECTORY ?

2. We want to prepare a backup machine (for disaster management) by passing only the ARCHIVEDIR directory from another online machine - both the machines have Postgresql installed. We have sent PGLOG and ARCHIVEDIR but the recovery is not successful unless we send the FULL DATA Directory.

Please help us in resolving this problem whereby we do not have to send the full DATA Directory.

The version of Postgresql is 8.0.3 on SuSe Linux 9.

Thanks and Regards

Sumita Chatterjee

I suggest you use the psql dump command where you can select the data you wish to backup or backup all data. It is easy to use and you can gzip the file and later pype it through to retrieve data.

Here is a link: Postgres Chapter 23: Bakup

I would add, as can be seen from the PostgreSQL documentation, that pg_dump and pg_restore are very flexible and should meet your needs. You can backup/restore individual tables, schemas, indexes, data only, or schema only. You can backup to .tar, plain text, or the pg custom format (which is already compressed). In disaster recovery, a full restore involves several steps, but this process is well documented in the manual. These procedures have been available for quite some time in PostgreSQL and are well-established and stable. No need to reinvent the wheel.