Unanswered: Unable to truncate everything from tempdb online log

Hey guys,

I'm having difficulty completely truncating my tempdb online log. It sits at 25%, and remains allocated even after I've truncated the log with backup log tempdb with truncate_only. Now, I would assume this to be normal if there is a spid who hasn't commited or rolled back a transaction, or if checkpoint hasn't run. However, running DBCC opentran('tempdb') shows me that there are no open transactions at that time, and checkpoint appears to be running fine.

Can anyone give me any hints on which way I should point with my investigation.

Regards,
    -Kilka
    There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge. -HST

Provided Answers: 1
    ...and WHY are you doing this?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

The transaction log for tempdb had previously filled up for an unknown reason, and I'm trying to figure out why..

thanks,
    -Kilka
    There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge. -HST

Quote Originally Posted by Kilka101
    The transaction log for tempdb had previously filled up for an unknown reason, and I'm trying to figure out why..

thanks,
    -Kilka

tempdb log file is not like other log files for other databases. You're not trying to preserve transactions here in order to recover the database. If it filled up, that means (I believe) that it grew and filled up the disk on which it resides. Often it's a symptom of something else going on (like another database growing out of control or another logfile growing too big).

Like I said, it's a symptom; you'll want to look for your cure in another location.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Provided Answers: 1
    ...or a bad cross-join....

Regardless, you shouldn't ever need to truncate tempdb.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com