Unanswered: command to reference another table

Hi all,

I am new to this site and I hope anyone out there can help me. I was tasked to change the constraints of my existing table. Lets call it table1. This table has an attribute that needs to take the value of another attribute of another table ( let's call it tables2) and that attribute must satisfy a certain expression ( I suppose I can isolate it by using the select statement ).

Anyone know how to get this done.

Please advice.

Thanks and appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ericwi
    Hi all,

I am new to this site and I hope anyone out there can help me. I was tasked to change the constraints of my existing table. Lets call it table1. This table has an attribute that needs to take the value of another attribute of another table ( let's call it tables2) and that attribute must satisfy a certain expression ( I suppose I can isolate it by using the select statement ).

Anyone know how to get this done.

Please advice.

Thanks and appreciated.
    u have given very little information.Read the sticky (first post on this forum) first
    I love cursor,though I never use it.Cos' I dont want to misuse it.
    ----------------------------------------------

----cheers
    ----http://mallier.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 54
    This sounds like homework to me. If it is, please post the URL for the assignment, or at least scan the page so we can see the "whole tamale" and solve the problem once instead of giving you what you asked for, but not what the teacher wants. If this is not homework, please see How to ask a question to get quick and correct answers? in this forums FAQ.

-PatP

Hi all,

I have yet to try this statement:-

alter table coursefee
    add check ( course_code = course.course_code and
    course.quota is not null );

coursefee :- table1
    course_code :- PK of table1
    course :- table2
    course.course_code :- PK of table2
    course.quota :- another attribute of table2

My intention is set a constraint on table1 where there will be an error if there is an insert on table2 whereby quota ( from table1) is null.

Is this plausible?

Sorry to trouble all again.

Provided Answers: 54
    I don't think you can reference another table in a CHECK CONSTRAINT. I suspect that you'll need to use a trigger if you really want to do this, but I wouldn't recommend doing it, for many reasons.

-PatP