Unanswered: Progress vs SQL Server

Can anybody give me any information that clarify the advantages of using SQL Server over progress for an application running in small - medium customer?

thanks in advance

Cecilia

I've never used Progress OpenEdge server, but I'm sure that this site will give you Progress' view of the advantages:

http://psdn.progress.com/library/com...info/index.ssp

(just be sure to take it with a grain of salt)

BTW: When I first saw the thread title, I mis-read it, thinking it said Postgres vs SQL Server, (which is competitive with SQL Server, from a features/capability viewpoint, and certainly from the license cost viewpoint!.)

edited by loquin
    Hold the phone. In order to read the white paper, you have to register at Progress' site. No problem, I think. I'll go ahead and register under my junk email account. Well, No... It turns out that you have to be a current customer BEFORE you can register. Hey Progress! (Isn't THAT a misnomer!) If I'm ALREADY a customer, I probably already KNOW how your database compares to SQL Server or Oracle. If I'm not, then I have to register before I can find out??? Catch-22!
    Last edited by loquin; 03-28-06 at 11:43.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Progress has less support, far smaller userbase, higher price, and is a disaster to program against.

OTOH it's available on Unix servers.

Quote Originally Posted by ceciliacasanova
    Can anybody give me any information that clarify the advantages of using SQL Server over progress for an application running in small - medium customer?

thanks in advance

Cecilia
    answers may vary..
    if i'm using SQL, then I'll say it is better.. the same is with the progress users
    try the progress forum
    www.progresstalk.com
    maybe people could help or even has topics such as this one

Smile Disaster?

Hi,

I have a rather large application written in Progress. I am looking for a new platform to port my application to. I am therefor in the proces of finding such a platform, and I need advice. I have these basic things in focus:
    - Very database intensive application. It must be easy to address data in a database.
    - Widespread geography. Currently I am using a thin client to acces my application centrally, and I kind of like that.
    - Scalability. I have up to 3000 users accessing the same application and database.
    - Little to none license fee to third party. If I want to give my application away, I want to be able to do so without having to pay third party.

I hope you can give me some input to inspire my further proces

/Nwilan

Nwilan:

Check out PostgreSQL.. It may fit the bill for your requirements.

Also, I have a question. I haven't used Progress, but a question by another member in a different thread implied that Progress has no capability for enforcing referential integrity within the database. Is that the case?
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert