Unanswered: Access, I know - MySQL, I need to learn

Hello:

I'm just posting this in hopes that someone out here wants to learn Access as much as I want to learn MySQL.

I've ten years of experience building applications in Access fulltime. I've built for large and small users of Access. Everything from small one-user applications to applications with 100s of SQL tables.

Now, here's the problem. I want to learn MySQL - silly me .... I thought it wouldn't be that much different from working in the Enterprise Manager with regular SQL.

Anyway ... since this effort requires more than a few posts, I'm going to put an offer out there.

If anyone (who is VERY familiar with MySQL) is interested in learning Access the same way I'm interested in delving into MySQL (as an indepth learning experience - rather than a few posts) I'd like to talk with you privately about working out a trade.

Just PM me, if you're interested.

Thanks Much:

SQL_Rookie
    If it's about mySQL - don't ask - because I don't know.

If it's about MS Access - ask away - I've had 10 years experience.

Provided Answers: 1
    I'm really not looking to dive headlong into more Access stuff, but you might find this useful:

MySQL Admin. I'm an MS guy myself, and once I got my hands on this, MySQL suddenly became a good deal more intuitive.

Edit: I'm sure you already know about this one, but on the off chance you don't, go grab phpMyAdmin.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 59
    Agree with Teddy
    The MySQL Query browser is also worth a look...

at present the freeware data modelling tool is a bit up in the air. if you are using MYSQL V3.23.xx then FabForces dbDesigner is worht look (if you can trck it down). the author of that is now working for MySQL on their development product Workbench. Workbench looks as if it couldbe a very capable tool. Ther are various shareware and commercial products some of which look quite promising.

its worth gettign a good MySQL reference book, but what ever book you get make sure its appropriate to the MySQL version you are using. I haven't yet found a Version 5 book yet, the V3 book by Kofler is increasingly dated. The differences between major versions are significanbt enough to warrant a different book / approach.

HTH
    Last edited by healdem; 03-28-06 at 13:02.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 1
    I almost forgot about DBDesigner. I use it all the time for creating ER models on the quick. I've found its support for creating and reverse engineering db's to be a little spotty with anything other than MySQL, but that doesn't matter in this particular scenario. The last MySQL version supported by DBDesigner is 4, btw.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***