Unanswered: implementing tabbing (spacing) within a textbox control ...

Hi all.

Got another one for you ... Currently, AFAIK, you cannot capture the Tab key within a textbox control (for the purposes of spacing text). Anyone know different? There is a prop setting for capturing the Enter key (and to get that hard return in the textbox you use the <Ctrl><Enter> key sequence) ...

Ted, if there is a solution I propose that this thread be a basis for a FAQ ...

- Mike
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 1
    This is a tricky one for which I have yet to see anything resembling an answer for. Tab has special meaning to the operating system itself. This differentiates it from capturing something like the Enter key wherein it does not have any intrinsic special meaning to windows, it's just an enter key.

In my mind, to pull this off you would need WINDOWS to watch for the key press event and return something to your app. I have a hunch this one is up in the "Dev Ashish" arena...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Mike,

You could try a "Rich Text" control, which is an OLE object, but it's sloppy and hogs DB space (the contents are stored as OLE, which is terribly inefficient).

I used them once and was not very impressed - it used Word at the companion application, which was slow and crashy. I ended up removing them shortly after.

I think you could use a tab since you are technically in Word while in the control.

tc

Quote Originally Posted by tcace
    Mike,

You could try a "Rich Text" control, which is an OLE object, but it's sloppy and hogs DB space (the contents are stored as OLE, which is terribly inefficient).

I used them once and was not very impressed - it used Word at the companion application, which was slow and crashy. I ended up removing them shortly after.

I think you could use a tab since you are technically in Word while in the control.

tc
    Hell, you did good then ... I've never gotten the damn thing (RT) to work from the get-go ...

This topic I'll keep in the back of my mind and maybe figure out a way to either finagle or fudge it to mimic tabbing ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I had a wee play last night. You probably know this but....
    I couldn't even get off the starting blocks as it appears the TABBING affect of TAB (i.e. moving on to the next control) happens before even the KeyDown event. That kind of makes sense now given Teddy's comment.
    Came across this on the web
    http://www.codeguru.com/vb/gen/vb_sy...icle.php/c4829

Even if you can trap TAB - can you establish where in your text string the cursor currently is in order to insert Char(9) in the correct spot?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.