Unanswered: Removal of archive logs

Hi all,

We have recently put archive logging on our database, and have set up a job in the Unix cron to delete the oldest files every week. However, when I go into Enterprise manager and look under archive logs all the deleted logs appear in the list. I assume this is because we are running a Unix command to delete the physical files but not telling the actual database what we are doing. My question is this...is there a better way of doing this? Is there a table in the DB which holds pointers to these files and therefore shows them in the list? Can I delete from this table?

We don't use EM backup wizard to backup, we run a Unix script. We only really use EM for monitoring.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Paula.

Check out the RMAN utility. It performs backups and recoveries while handling the archive logs, control files, redo logs, and datafiles. And the best thing is that it is included for FREE with the database. For additional information, check out the following link.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...a96519/toc.htm
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

as Bill suggested. through rman:
    delete obsolete;

based on parameters you set rman will delete all of your archivelogs and backups that are obsolete at that time and update the databases. Great utility when used properly.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Thanks for this, I'll give it a go.