Unanswered: Sybase + SQL Server 2K

Hello!

Has anyone ever experienced compatibility and/or performance issues when SQL 2K and Sybase are run concurrently on the same server? I believe the server is using Windows 2K3.

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 11
    I assume you mean the Sybase client, and not the whole Sybase Server, since Sybase sold off the Windows Server division to a man named Gates some years back.

Compatiblity problems are going to come up if you try to use isql. SQL Server uses isql to install service packs, so you can either rename Sybase's isql, or make sure the path variable lists the SQL Server directories before the Sybase ones.

Provided Answers: 54
    I don't believe that MS-SQL has used ISQL.EXE since the release of SQL 2000.

Depending on which Sybase version you are using, and which SQL engine was first installed on the Windows machine, you have varying degrees of luck. The best solution I've found for mixing Microsoft/Sybase is to install Microsoft SQL first, and get it running nicely (several reboots, minor tuning if needed, etc), then reconfigure MS-SQL to "play nice with others" in terms of memory, disk, etc. I strongly recommend having separate disk drive letters for windows/programs/etc, and for each instance of SQL have drive letters for tempdb, data files, and log files. This makes a bit of chaos up front due to all of the drive letters, but it pays off hugely when it comes time to make the SQL Servers play well together, especially if performance becomes an issue (and it usually does at some point).

-PatP

Provided Answers: 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    I don't believe that MS-SQL has used ISQL.EXE since the release of SQL 2000.
    I assure you, it is there, and used. I think the Flying Spaghetti Monster is responsible for it. I have had to troubleshoot a few service pack installation failures, and isql comes up in the log files a fair amount. You would think they would have at least gone to osql, but no. I wonder how they are planning to do the SQL 2005 SP1 installation routine. Will we need to install SQL 2000 client first?

Don't forget bcp.exe. It took me some time to figure out why my bcp was suddenly behaving very oddly after installing the Sybase client on my machine... I had to rename bcp.exe from Sybase (didn't use it anyway) to keep from always stating the full path to MS bcp.exe.

Lex

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    I assume you mean the Sybase client, and not the whole Sybase Server, since Sybase sold off the Windows Server division to a man named Gates some years back.

Compatiblity problems are going to come up if you try to use isql. SQL Server uses isql to install service packs, so you can either rename Sybase's isql, or make sure the path variable lists the SQL Server directories before the Sybase ones.
    It is the SQL Anywhere 5.X client installed. I've dun a little digging, and it doesn't seem to pose an enourmous problem, other than those outlined here already. We are basically moving the application from a SQL Anywhere platform up to Server 2K, so the two won't in effect be run concurrently.

Many thanks for all the info everyone provided. Much appreciated!