Question Unanswered: Text Files to SQL table ...

Hello!, I have two applications that import data from text files to Access 97 tables. One of this applications is in Access 97 and the other in VB6, know they are requesting me to import this text information to a SQL table. I do not have any experience with SQL Server, can some one give a idea of what I could do to accomplish this?, I would appreciate a lot anyone's help!, thanks! ...

Provided Answers: 1
    Use the DTS Utility (Data Transformation) which you can access through Enterprise Manager.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 54
    My first suggestion would be BULK INSERT. There are many other choices, but this seems the closest based on what you've described.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 54
    Building on Blindman's suggestion, DTS is a great tool, and provides many GUI based interactive tools to handle data import. Since you've got one application in MS-Access, and one in VB I assume that you're quite comfortable with programming, and want to provide a complete "front end" for your program's users. If you are looking for a tool for your use as a developer, DTS is the way to go... If you are looking for something you can incorporate into a solution you've built using either MS-Access or VB, then I'd still recommend using BULK INSERT.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ALEXMIRI
    ...I do not have any experience with SQL Server, can some one give a idea of what I could do to accomplish this?, ...
    ...and budget your time for a fairly steep learning curve when jumping into SQL Server from MS Access. You can't just drop the same objects or concepts into SQL Server and expect them to work just like they did in Access. I strongly suggest you get some help with this if you are on any sort of tight deadline.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com