Unanswered: Linked Table Data Error

I have a FE-BE application. I had an issue crop up that I have never seen and am wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of this.

The db was developed in 2k and the users are now running 2003 (except for one which is why I haven't upgraded the db yet) on winXP.

One of the users reported that a combobox that has been working was comming up empty. The combobox gets it's data from a query based on a field in a linked table.

When I checked it out, the combobox was indeed empty and returned Reserved error (-1517); there is no message for this error. I tried to run the query and received the same error. I then opened the linked table and noticed that the data in that field said #ERROR for every record. The data in the other fields was fine. After a few moments of terror, I opened the BE db and checked the table there. The data in the BE was fine (big sigh of relief). I relinked the tables in the FE and repaired and compacted is and all is well.

I'm left wondering how/why this may have happened and how to prevent future occurances. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

did you change the BE design?
    it's always good to delete links and relink if you change the BE design
    maybe the version change was enough to count as a design change?????

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I have seen situations where the linked table was ODBC and a value in a field violated the data type setting in the ODBC.

We would be paging though data, happy as can be, when all of a sudden the entire table repaints with #ERROR and kicks up the error message that is devoid of any sort of hint to the problem (the "Reserved Error" you mention below).

After some frustrating days of troubleshooting (we assumed the problem was with Access since the application form which the data originated worked fine) it turns out that the other software had a date field that would populate with -1 until a valid date was assigned.

ODBC would process the data, one page at a time, until it hit one of those -1 values and then die because it couldn't reconcile -1 to a valid date.

Different circumastances in your problem, but same result, so perhaps this gives a clue.

tc

I had this problem recently. The only way I found to resolve was to drop and re-link. I now drop all tables as the FE closes and re-link when FE opens.

http://www.dbforums.com/t659230.html

Thanks for the input.

I had made a some changes to a couple of the BE tables and done a repair and compact on it a few days prior to this happening.

My two suggestions are:

1. Get on one version of Access. The worst corruption problem I experienced was in an environment where I had 2003 and 2002 running at the same time on different computers. I normally can compact/repair or import objects into a new database to fix corruption problems. But with the corruption I had, I had to recover from a backup tape. The error said it was due to version issues (not exactly sure if the error message was correct or not).

2. Consider your users. Years ago I built a database that had poor performance. I let the customer design the database and the results were bad. As a result, the impatient users tended to bail on long processes. They exited the database 'improperly', causing corruption issues. Even with a well built database, users can be rough on an application.