Question Unanswered: Photos in Access database

I am not very experienced in Access but have to make a data base that displays a matching photo. The program that I use for photographing school students creates a database that has 1st name, lst name, student id and a reference # for each sudent. It also can create a copy of the image named by either the student name(Fn_Ln or Ln_Fn), the student ID # or the reference #. I have tried to bring the images into access without much success. I was able to get one image in but when there are 100, 150, 250 images manually entering a file name is for the birds. How can I use the file name on the images to automatically open when the particular student is selected?? This is my first post to this group but i posted this to another section I'm not sure which is the right place but I think this is.

There is lots on this topic in the forum.

I assume the image is not actually being put in the database, rather the filename (and possibly the path) are being put in and the images are linked.

Use a dialog box to allow the user to select the filename (info on using the Access dialog box is here).
    have fun!

Todd S.
    click to email

Independent Development Consultant
    Biz db & reports - SQL, Access, Crystal, Seradex and more
    Small, custom, unique programs - Office, VBA, .NET

Sadly, there was no error number to look up ...

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I would prefer that the image "pop up" when the particular record is accessed rather than having the user look for it or have to call it up.

would prefer that the image "pop up" when the particular record is accessed
    Right - so when the record is created, you have to ask the user to select the image. You store the link as a text value and then next time it opens, have an On_Current event that takes the text value and applies it to the picture frame.

Have fun!

This works for me in an employee database.

In the On_Current procedure:

Me![Image2].Picture = ""
    Me![Image2].Picture = Path & Group & Dir(Path & Group & EmployeeFullName & ".jpg")

Assuming it is a jpg file and the path, group are defined earlier.
    Image2 is the image control I inserted and it is a linked file.
    Everytime you call up a record it diplays the image of the employee.