Unanswered: Handle New line Characters.

Hi,

I have two problems

1) In my table, I have a field which is of data type - LONG. This field contains new line characters. For e.g

SQL Query -
    select log_field from temp_table;

Result -

There are many
    newline characters in
    this field.

Question - I would like to replace the new line characters with ~. The idea is I have all the characters in one line. So the out put that I would like is

There are many~new line characters in~this field.

I had tried replacing - replace(log_field,chr(10),'~'), but this does not work.

Please note this query needs to be executed in the unix environment.

Any suggestions please?

2) Assuming I have a data extract which is csv file. One of the fields has the new line characters. I am facing problems in loading it using sql loader.
    Any suggestions on how to tackle this problem as well.

Many Thanks.

Regards
    Ashish

LONGs have always been a problem, nothing really supports them and oracle recommends that you don't use them anymore. If the application is still being developed, I stronly suggest that you use CLOBs instead. All the string functions (substr, instr, replace...) work with CLOBs.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Changing the datatype is not possible. We need the extract from the system in the form of a csv. So I was hoping if it were possible to replace all wild characters with '~'.

Now assuming we get the csv file with this field with new line characters, I am facing problems while loading using sql loader. Is there any way, I can overcome this problem?

Many Thanks.

try this:
    PHP Code:
    replace(replace(log_fieldchr(13), '~'), chr(10), '~'
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...