Unanswered: Insert statements, primary keys and relationships

I have a number of tables (30+) all collecting info about societies. I have a primary key (soc_ID) in all my tables and a number of one-to-one relationships. All the tables are joined.

Q1 : If I add into the first row in one table, do I HAVE to insert the PK in EVERY other table its related to? Q2:is it wise to have foreign keys nullable?
    My MS SQL SERVER statement::

insert into society(soc_id) values ('1');

ERROR: The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "FK_Society_EDU_materials_targeted". The conflict occurred in database "mem_soc", table "dbo.EDU_materials_targeted", column 'soc_id'.
    The statement has been terminated.

I understand the error. Is there a short way to insert the PK in all related tables automatically otherwise my insert statement will be HUGE.
    This method seems REALLY long winded...

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    I'm 99% sure that you've got the primary and foreign keys reversed between your EDU_materials_targeted and society tables. At least as I understand it, the soc_id should be the primary key in the society table, and it should be the foreign key in the dbo.EDU_materials_targeted table.

A foreign key should allow NULL values if the relationship has a cardinality of "1 to zero or more". In other words, if the child table might not have a matching row in the parent table, then the FK should allow NULL values.

Normally I'd move this discussion to the Microsoft SQL Server forum, but since it still is a relatively pure SQL issue I'm Ok with leaving it here in the SQL forum.

Foriegn key is correct!

Thanks a lot! You're 100% correct!