Unanswered: How to implement a list of people

Hello all

One of the entities in my database concerns details of meetings, i.e. meeting reference #, location, date, etc. It also has to include the people who were present at each meeting. Clearly this is a problem, as there is usually around 11 people at each meeting. What is the best way of doing this? Would I have to create a new entity or can I somehow make it work in the Meetings entity?

Thanks.

Make a new entity, and learn something about DATABASE NORMALIZATION,
    PRIMARY KEY, FOREIGN KEY.

Database normalisation involves the bottom-up approach, which I'm not doing. Already know about primary and foreign keys, but still struggling with this. I mean, my initial idea is this, but there must be a much better way of doing it.

Meetings {Meeting_ID (PK), Location, Date, Member_ID (FK), Present (either yes or no)}

But in this, meeting_ID cannot be the primary key as it will clearly be repeated. So it Meeting_ID and Member_ID a composite key? Will that work?

Provided Answers: 59
    you would be better off moving the attendees into a sub table, and make that tables PK MeetingID & MemberID, both of which are FK's to their respective tables. You may not need tohave a record of attendance, unless you are recording the fact that someone was invited tothe meeting, but didn't attend

you have another problem in how to handle if the same person can attend two meetings at the same time.

HTH
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton