Thread: Migrating Data

Unanswered: Migrating Data

Dear All

I am currently in the process of migrating data from two applications that uses oracle as backend.... I would be grateful if you were to suggest techniques to establish that all my data has been migrated correctly.

Thank you in anticipation

Regards

Sandro

Cool

Migrate from where to where?
    Using what utilities?

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Data Migration

The data was residing in an application that used Oracle8. Now this same data is being migrated to another application (but different) which also uses Oracle8. I dont know what utilities will be used as the migration will be done by an outsourced supplier, however i wanted to check that all the data that there was in the old application was successfully and completely migrated to the new application.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro Psaila
    The data was residing in an application that used Oracle8. Now this same data is being migrated to another application (but different) which also uses Oracle8. I dont know what utilities will be used as the migration will be done by an outsourced supplier, however i wanted to check that all the data that there was in the old application was successfully and completely migrated to the new application.

If these applications are not the same, and even if they were the same, If they are different versions; the database schema's may differ also.

What you need to do is generate 'audit' reports where for each business area you can create some type of 'balance' information (counts, sums, etc..) about the data and when data is migrated, generate the same reports to compare results.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Migrating Data

Thanks a lot for your reply... i was thinking about to implement something like CRC on the imported data.. Do you have any other suggestions...