Unanswered: Upgrade 10gR1 to 10.1.0.4 wipes ASM instance

Windows 2000 SP4
    Oracle 10gR1 (10.1.0.2)
    ASM

I was attempting to upgrade from 10gR1 base to 10.1.0.4. In the process, the metadata for my ASM disks was totally wiped. 'SELECT * FROM v$asm_disk;' returned no rows as did 'SELECT * from v$asm_diskgroup'. When I tried completely re-format the disks it was still a no go. I have repeated this process with the same results twice.

Fortunately, this is a "sandbox" environment; I was practicing for what I had hoped would be an uneventful upgrade tomorrow.

What am I doing wrong? How should an ASM instance be upgraded?

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Happened three times in a row with baseline installs of Oracle 10g using RAW disks and ASM.

I have opened a ticket with Oracle. We'll see where this one goes...

Regards,

hmscott

Do the docs mention anything about upgrading CRS first and then everything else?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Duck
    Do the docs mention anything about upgrading CRS first and then everything else?
    Not as far as I can tell. Basically, the docs say shut everything down, upgrade, then restart everything.

Somewhere along the way, ASM "loses" the metadata for the ASM disks. I have two other open tickets with Oracle for ASM-related issues. It's very possible that I implemented ASM the "wrong" way or did something else that I ought not to have done.

Fortunately, I have not lost any data -- just lots and lots of my valuable time.

Regards,

hmscott

Okay, so long story short:

1. The original install of ASM was pooched (long story here, it's my fault, but I was just doing what the vendor of the application had done, so the original fault lies up the chain).

2. According to Oracle, ASM should never have worked in the configuration in which the vendor created it (um, okay).

3. I can't upgrade.

So, it's a dump of the database and on to 10gR2 for me. This time, no ASM.

Regards,

hmscott