Question Unanswered: unicode and Oracle

Hi,

what about unicode in Oracle database. If you want to store special characters like ň (Latin N with caron), how can you get it in and back out without getting ? or

What do you have to change to your database?

my NLS_characterset is WE8MSWIN1252,
    NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET is AL16UTF16

What is the easiest and fastest way to get those characters correct in and out of the database?

thanks

Cool

1) You need your database to have the correct characterset.
    2) All client environment variable NLS_LANG need to have that characterset.

Read the manual

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

oke, thanks,

but how to know if my character is in that characterset?
    If I want to be sure, I could use the UTF8 maybe? But that will mean characterconversions?

But what about those nchar, nclob ... that's useless then in my current characterset?

And I can't convert all my 300 databases to another characterset, this is lo(s)ts of work ... :-(

Question

can anyone tell me how to insert those special characters via Isqlplus? Is there any oracle tool that can show those special characters? I'm testing now with the AL32UTF8 character set. So with that set I could use those special characters?

also Oracle talks in their manual about this:

>You want to add multilingual support incrementally.

>If you want to add Unicode support to the existing database without migrating the character set, then consider using Unicode datatypes to store Unicode data. You can add columns of the SQL NCHAR datatypes to existing tables or new tables to support multiple languages incrementally.

but, with what can I view and insert those characters, I'm not a programmer, so I want to do it with an Oracle tool ...?

thanks

what client are you using to access SQLPLUS?

For instance if your using putty this defaults to a WE characterset, therefore you may need to change the language setting on your putty terminal to UTF8. This is assuming your database is using AL****UTF8.

thanks.

Thumbs up

Try setting the NLS_LANG environment variable on your client to something like:

NLS_LANG={country}_{language}.WE8MSWIN1252

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thumbs down

client is windows, if I've to change my settings on windows, than you can leave it, I can't tell to my clients to have strange settings on their computer. That's not a solution. I thought you could solve this easily, but again, this is not with Oracle :-(

setting nls_lang? you still have the wrong characterset ...

Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

You could also look at SQL*Plus Globalization Support (10g) which includes a section on iSQL*Plus (9i version is here). Among other things, it says: "The iSQL*Plus user interface is automatically displayed in the language specified as your preferred language in your web browser", and gives the steps to change the language in Internet Explorer. I'm not sure whether that helps if you want to work in English but enter and view Spanish characters.
    Last edited by WilliamR; 05-05-06 at 14:28.