Unanswered: Printing from Visual Dbase 5.5 in Windows Xp

Hi all,

I'm having problems when switching printers in VisualDbase, under Windows XP (it worked fine under W98)

When I execute chooseprinter(), the default printer is the windows default, but misteriously the specific printer is selected, and some other ¿random? printer from my network is chosen there. As a result, I can't send my rpt's to any of them: usually they stay blocked until VDbase is closed, and then come out as an ASCII text with no format.

The only thing that has worked so far is deleting all printers except one from each workstation; thus, the default and specific printer are the same (have to ), and printing is ok.
    but of course, users would like to switch printers in an easier way.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Versions:
    VisualDbase 5.5
    Crystal Reports 3.0.1.6
    Windows XP professional 5.1.2600

I also have this problem. No matter what printer I choose it output goes to the default. On another Discussion group i have this quote "Vdase does not recognize UNC paths. you have to map the network printer to a local port"
    Interesting enough, I have a Visual Basic program that interacts in a similar fashion when i utilized the common dialog The only difference is, output goes to the desired printer but only after I make it the default

I am having a printing related problem for which I hope you may know of a solution.
    I am using Visual dBASE 5.7 with Crystal 3.0.1.6 that works fine with Win98SE and Windows200, but I get a general protection fault with WindowsXP. This occurs when a report is exited without printing it.
    I get a general protection fault message as follows: "DBASEWIN caused a general protection fault in module CRPE.dll at 0074:25". This dll is a Crystal dll. Does anyone know of a workaround for this problem?

BeeBer

Visual Dbase printing

I have reconverted one machine to w98 and all my Dbase stuff works great. Unfortunately, no one seems to know why compatibility issues exists with XP So I rewrote my program in Basic 6.0 and printing labels and reports are not an issue. Additionally, I found printing to network printers easier Basic does not have the easist font control in the world, but certainly manageable for what I am doing for this project. My "experts" seem to think that the XP issue is related to the size byte software it is You know old 16 vs newer 32 vs 64 byte so on and so for. Kernals etc all that stuff we here of but don't expect it to impact use.

I suspect you are correct in that byte size is the problem. However, I have a copy of Crystal Reports Version 7 that I believe works with both 16 and 32 bit programs. Do you have any knowledge of it being able to work seamlessly with dBASE 5.7, and if so, since the fault occurred with the Crystal CRPE.dll, would CR v7 avoid the general protection fault that I currently get?

I have no programming skill in Basic, only in Visual dBASE 5.7.

Many thanks for your help.

BeeBer

crytstal reports

Can't help you here. The issue I think is that XP does not recognize the printer drivers and therefore gets confused not so much the report writer.

you can have two operating systems on a PC and do a Dual Boot to select the system you wish to run Look in help under windows 98 and it tells you how. Then you can go to control panel. system, advanced, startup and recoverys and select systrem startup and pick the default system to use when booting up. Then when you boot you stop startup and change the startup OS you wish to use for that session if you don't want the default

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by shoemaker; 08-03-06 at 10:24.