Unanswered: Free-standing DB Program

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I'm a novice in the DB world, but I've been asked to find out how to build a DB program for a clinic I work in. Preferrably, once the DB is created, the clinic would like to be able to open it as a free-standing program.

I've been able to build a form in Microsoft Access that has the type of layout I'm looking for, but it's limited because they would like some of the fields to be able to handle paragraphs - as far as I can tell Access doesn't let you do that. Also, I'm unsure if you can make the form a free-standing program that does not need to be opened thru Access.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it. I know I may sound a little confused, but the fact is I am, so I apologize in advance.

Thanks
    Cavy

Provided Answers: 1
    MS Access' Memo datatype can handle paragraphs, and is unlimited in length. Be aware that you cannot do as much text manipulation on memo columns as other datatypes.

For more Access-specific questions, post in the Access forum.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 54
    The MS-Access Runtime sounds like what you're looking for to get your Access code into a free standing program.

I'll let the MS-Access gurus offer more advice on the how side of getting Access to do what you want. I'm moving this thread from Chit Chat into the MS-Access forum so that they'll see it, and hopefully jump in!

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    MS Access' Memo datatype can handle paragraphs, and is unlimited in length. Be aware that you cannot do as much text manipulation on memo columns as other datatypes.

For more Access-specific questions, post in the Access forum.
    The memo field is not unlimited in length. It has a limit of 64k (65536 bytes).

If you use a text control for your paragraph entry, it can handle up to the MAX text allowed ... See above.

Access dbs cannot be standalone ... You can run them using the Access runtime version ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Access Run-Time is Access, just with some of the plumbing removed and requires purchase of the developer kit, but then can be freely distributed. Also, turing a DB into an APP that will run in "Run-Time" is a bit tricky for newbies.

As far as storing paragraphs, memo can hold a good sized chunk of text, but is about as useful as Notepad (no format, no spell check, etc.)

The most a text field can hold is 255 characters, which is about 1 sentence for the especially verbose (like engineers - they like to be wordy - I can say that because I am one )

You can fiddle with OLE Rich Text controls, which is kind of like inserting a Word Document into your form. If you get it to work right, then it's great. There's a lot of emphasis on the If however, as they seem to be sensitive to their environment and are space hogs. Some time when we're sitting around the campfire, I'll tell you tales of when I tried to use them

Hope this helps at least a little bit .....

Quote Originally Posted by tcace
    Access Run-Time is Access, just with some of the plumbing removed and requires purchase of the developer kit, but then can be freely distributed. Also, turing a DB into an APP that will run in "Run-Time" is a bit tricky for newbies.

As far as storing paragraphs, memo can hold a good sized chunk of text, but is about as useful as Notepad (no format, no spell check, etc.)

The most a text field can hold is 255 characters, which is about 1 sentence for the especially verbose (like engineers - they like to be wordy - I can say that because I am one )

You can fiddle with OLE Rich Text controls, which is kind of like inserting a Word Document into your form. If you get it to work right, then it's great. There's a lot of emphasis on the If however, as they seem to be sensitive to their environment and are space hogs. Some time when we're sitting around the campfire, I'll tell you tales of when I tried to use them

Hope this helps at least a little bit .....
    Todd, it is correct to say that a text type column can contain only 255 chars ... The text control in /on a form however can contain up to the max characters allowed in Access (which is a memo field at 65536 chars) ... Just to clarify.

- Mike

P.S. When using labels, the max character limit is 2048
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I would suggest that, if you are totally new to Access, programming and databases, then a free standing data aware program is perhaps asking a little much of a someone from a cold start. If this is just a nice to have feature then I would advise that you try to talk them out of it. If it is an unconditional requirement then I think they should consider talking to a professional.

I haven't had the pleasure of ever having to get a runtime installation routine working. I have, however, spent many a happy hour cleaning up the complete mess a third party run time installation seems to inevitably make of our workstations.

At the absolute minimum - get a "hello world" access app working (and tested, especially on machines with access already installed) with the runtime before you really get down to creating your database.

Also - google front end and back end for Acces
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks for all your help so far! I've been able to create most of the form that I had invisioned for the clinic. And I have been able to talk them out of it being a standalone program, citing the advise of experts

I do have another question that I'm sure is basic in the whole scheme of things, but I'm still only at a basic level with Access. From the form, I want to be able to click on a button that allows me to select a date, and print off a list of names that are coming to the clinic on that date. I'm not sure if I need to create a query or a report and have the button linked to that event, or if I need to create a sperate macro for it. My fear is that I will create the query or report and it will print off everyone in the clinic (some 500 people) and waste a lot of paper, and annoy the people at the front desk (although sometimes that wouldn't be such a bad thing hehe).

I appreciate your help... this is what you get when the clinic is too cheap to pay a professional and they just recruit someone on their studentship to do their database management!!

Cavy

You have a whole load of choices, including those you mention, for your format (report, query etc).. Most important thing is to ensure that you open the "report" in preview (at the minimum during development even if eventually you want it to print straight out). Then you waste no paper whilst developing. As it happens, I don't have a singel report that goes straight to print - I prefer users to manually print off if they want a hard copy but it depends on your requirements.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks pootle, the preview idea definately saved me about 400 pages of paper, and huge embarrassment

I've tried to narrow down how to only print a report from a single record in the form, but I'm having a little trouble nailing it down. Maybe you can find the error in my code (I feel bad that I can't do this... I use to be able to figure out code "back in the day"!!)

DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , "[Name]=Forms!frm[ARIC Form]![Name]"

What I want it to do is only print off a report for the current report open on the "ARIC Form" using the Where clause. I've tried matching this with my Name field, and I thought this would work, but alas...

I appreciate all this, your help has been amazing.

Cavy

Nevermind! I figured it out... apparently I should be more careful copying other people's code, becuase threw in "frm" before [ARIC Form] for no reason. This is perfect. Thanks again to everyone for their help

Cheers,
    Cavy