Thumbs down Unanswered: dB Corrupt - Fatal Error

This is the first dB I have every had that I can not repair with jet compact or a normal compact.

Anyone know if dB's can become totally unusable? I am working on getting a restore from backup......but this sucks.

Did you try a ODBC repair???
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Corrupt db

Have you tried running via the run menu...MSAccess XXXX.mdb /decompile? Maybe lookup running MSAccess in a decompile state. If you have 2 versions of MSAccess on the same machine and didn't debug immediately after importing a form/report/module, the imported form/report/module can easily get corrupt. Opening the mdb in a decompile state will let you delete the culprit form/report/module, and then re-import it (see my posts on 2 versions of MSAccess on the same machine.)
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

There's also the old import all objects into a blank db.

Of course - you know to make backups of your corrupted db before doing anything to it yes?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

I got a backup copy and imported all the objects to a new dB. I swear I think that there is a limit to the number of times a change and/or a compact can occur on a dB.

Quote Originally Posted by TerpInMD
    I got a backup copy and imported all the objects to a new dB. I swear I think that there is a limit to the number of times a change and/or a compact can occur on a dB.
    I've seen these things just go bad ... No amount of repairing will keep them running ... Your import option is the best thing to do.
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

If you hit a brick wall - another possibility is to PM waynephillips - one of the posters here. He is very impressive and knows a lot about access corruption - he actually has a db recovery business - http://www.everythingaccess.com/ - but he helps people out for free too. I've seen him sort out people's corruption problems here without ever mentioning his business.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

This piece of code could be very handy to avoid corrupting

If Not IsCompiled() Then
    MsgTxt = "The program file is currently in an uncompiled state" & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10)
    MsgTxt = MsgTxt & "This can result in severe performance problems." & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10)
    MsgTxt = MsgTxt & "Would you like to compile the program file?"
    Response = MsgBox(MsgTxt, vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Performance Check")
    If Response = vbYes Then
    'You could display a message box that tells the user to be patient while the database is compiled
    DoCmd.Echo False 'Stop screen display to eliminate seeing the module open and close
    DoCmd.OpenModule "ANYMODULE" 'Open any of your modules you have in the database
    DoCmd.SelectObject acModule, "ANYMODULE" 'You must select the module after you open it
    RunCommand (acCmdCompileAndSaveAllModules) 'This command does the compile and save
    DoCmd.Close acModule, "ANYMODULE" 'Close the chosen module after the compile and save is done
    DoCmd.Echo True 'Start screen display again
    MsgTxt = " The program file has been compiled" & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10)
    MsgTxt = MsgTxt & "You should now select Tools | Database Utilities | Compact Database" & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10)
    MsgTxt = MsgTxt & "from the menu above the database container. "
    Response = MsgBox(MsgTxt, vbInformation, "Compile Completed Successfully")
    End If
    End If

plugged from the internet somewhere

regards emiel
    Last edited by emiel; 04-09-06 at 22:44.