Unanswered: Troubleshooting a Corrupt Uninstall of SQL Server

Hi --

I am a new user of SQL Server, Enterprise Manager, and Reporting Services (all three are installed on my comptuer) and have a problem. Please bear with me, I am very new at this and don't know all the correct terminology!

Someone in our IT group "discovered" that I had two "instances" of SQL on my machine. The way he came to this was that I was trying to use the "." to connect to my local machine in Query Analyzer and it wasn't pulling the databases I had saved to my computer, it was looking in another folder LOCALDB (a subset of my computer's name). He was unsure how to move all of my databases on my comptuer to that LOCALDB folder so he uninstalled the "LOCALDB" entry from the Add/Remove Programs screen to fix this. He said "No to All" when it prompted him to remove shared entries.

Consequently, when I load Enterprise Manager now, I get the "Snap-In failed to initialize" message. I also do not have any SQL Server options in my Start Menu Anymore. Query Analyzer still exists, though, I had saved a shortcut to my taskbar and I can still launch it from there. He is saying all I need is to re-install the "Client Tools" folder from the CD and that will fix the problem. I am skeptical, since it appears to be a larger issue (SQL isn't in my Start Menu anymore!).

I am sure that my SQL install is probably completely corrupt. I would like to return to full functionality of SQL Server, Enterprise Manager, and MRS as soon as possible. Can anyone begin to advise me on how to do so?

I really do appreciate your help in advance.
    jzafereo

Do you have a service called MSSQL or something like that in your Service Manager ?
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

Provided Answers: 54
    Wow... This is way beyond my ability to comfortable help you fix "over the wire" since there are so many details that might be important, but that you might not notice to tell us because of your relative lack of experience. I'm not saying that inexperienced is bad, just that it makes fixing your problems beyond the point where I'm comfortable since neither of us knows what is important in your configuration!

The first thing you need to decide is: How important is what you've lost. Any recovery effort means a significant investment of time from both you and someone that knows SQL pretty well. Before you start down this path, be sure that you're willing to put what may be several days of effort into the recovery process.

What you've had happen isn't all that uncommon. Someone that is reasonably technically savvy comes along and tries to fix a problem, but they miss some important detail(s) and life gets interesting quickly.

My suggestion is to get someone to help you that understands SQL Server well. If you have a DBA or someone like a DBA, they would be my first choice. A developer would be a reasonable second choice. After that, you'll probably need to use your best judgement.

As far as a general plan of action, you need to first save everything that you can. Someone needs to determine the present state of your machine, and make their best guess at the state it was in before the problems started, then figure out which parts of what is left they can salvage... In most cases, they can save everything that hasn't actually been deleted, and often they can resurect some or all of the parts that were deleted. Short answer here is backup everything you think you might need, and give serious thought to saving copies of everything else too!

If you can try to salvage the data on another machine, that would be my first suggestion... Leave the original machine intact, and see how much you can successfully recover on another machine. This gives you the maximum amount of "oops protection", just in case something goes wrong.

If you need to salvage on the original machine, that's more risky, but often your only practical choice. If you decide to do that, come back and ask for more guidance... It isn't a choice you want to make without thinking about exactly what you've got, and what you want.

-PatP