Missing threads (revisited)

Hi Dennis

I imagine you are pretty bored of this however...
    it has been several (six I think http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1198344) months now. Your own personal work has not gone unnoticed and I think we all recognise that you have been a catalyst for much of the site's rejuvination. However - are you guys in a position to at least state whether or not the archives are likely to ever be fully restored? If so - do you have a time scale? Smiilarly - are you in a position to assure us that things are in place to prevent data loss in the future? The value of the forum is not just in the moment - it is in the repeated future hits as googlers seek answers to to their own questions - and this of significance to us, you and your sponsers.

If I've missed a post that answers these questions then apols - I blame it on the search facility
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    ... are you guys in a position to at least state whether or not the archives are likely to ever be fully restored?...
    Yes. And the answer isn't an easy one. The missing data will remain missing.

assure us that things are in place to prevent data loss in the future?
    I can assure you that everything has been done to prevent such a loss in the future. However, given the infalibility of technology, I'd never bet my life on such a thing. But, I could confidently bet a large sum of money on it.

If I've missed a post that answers these questions then apols
    You didn't miss anything. It's just hard to admit defeat. But, now that we have, we can focus on the future of dBforums.

Whoo hoo! I knew I could sneak that new emoticon in here somewhere.
    Have a community? Have questions?

Hi Dennis

Thanks for the response. Technology, of course, is not infallible - but one would have liked to have thought that the back up (and restore) strategies would have been as near as damn it.

Ah well - not your fault - I don't envy a self confessed non-db guy having to come out and inform a load of db developers and adminstrators that "their" data is permenantly lost.

A shame but life goes on.

BTW - I noticed Matt Sumper browsing around the other day - just a conincidence or is there a concerted effort to up the presence these days?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

one would have liked to have thought that the back up (and restore) strategies would have been as near
    Yes. Kinda reminds me of my workstation's hard drive failing two weeks ago. I had been backing up to a remote PC. So, no worries. Well, except for the fact that the remote PC had run out of disk space five months ago and I hadn't noticed. So, my backups are five months old.

just a conincidence or is there a concerted effort to up the presence these days?
    Mat was working on that annoying Search bug that's been plaguing a few communities.

I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out how to turn a very small percentage of our visitors into members.
    Have a community? Have questions?

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out how to turn a very small percentage of our visitors into members.
    Perhaps not having answers in the archives will mean a few more people will need to join and ask questions. A dodgy search facility probably has a similar effect
    Hee hee - just being naughty
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump