Unanswered: cookies to hold Images

Hello Everyone

Im currently developing a website for a university project which incorporates (something like a slide show of picture (different web page for each picture))

Before designing it, I did the most stupid thing, and assumed that I could use cookies to download (maybe four) images initially (as cookies) and then this would act as a kind of buffer, therefore the user already has the image on there computer (when they switch pages) thus not have much of a downloading time.

Im now under the impression that cookies are only for text values, which puts a real downer on my design.

Could anyone help by suggesting a way of downloading the images first and accessing them individually by separate pages?

Thanks for your time (I appreciate it!)

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulcartwright
    Im now under the impression that cookies are only for text values
    That's right.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcartwright
    Could anyone help by suggesting a way of downloading the images first and accessing them individually by separate pages?
    The user's web browser should cache any images which have previously been downloaded. If that doesn't help you, then you may want to try using a javascript image preloader.

Either javascript preloading, or using a prefetch tag (assuming your users are using Firefox / Opera - which you could explain as a benifit of ff/opera) would be the most sensible idea.

Javascript preloading:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=image...en-US:official

Prefetch tag:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/netl...ching_FAQ.html