Unanswered: Help with datasource drivers

Hi,

New to databases so need some help. While trying to set up data source in control panel, I find that there are no drivers for *mdf files. Just *.dbo and *.xls and others. Can someone tell me what to do. I can't get analysis services to let me access my database, which are *mdf files a friend sent me.

What do I need to do...Can someone help me.

Regards,
    Milfredo.

Provided Answers: 54
    MDF files don't have a driver in the sense that DBF and MDB files do. SQL Server is a full blown database engine, which manages files, indicies, etc independantly of the operating system and application that uses them.

You need to install SQL Server (which you should already have for Analysis Services), then attach the MDF and its corresponding LDF files to SQL Server. At that point, you'll be able to access the data in those files using SQL Server.

-PatP

Thank you. I can access the data in SQL. I can't get to the data using analysis services. I can run the samples, but when I try and build cubes using my data files, I can't get it to run them or access them so I can build the new cubes I want. That is the problem I'm having.

Thanks for the help. Any ideas?

Milfredo

Provided Answers: 54
    You're going to have to coach me some here... I'm having trouble understanding what your problem is.

You can get to the data using SQL Server, or at least it sounds like you can. I assume that this means you can SELECT the data, get the result sets back, do simple checks to ensure that all of your data is present and correct. It would be really nice if you could verify some control totals, just to be sure that you've got all of the data, and you've got it intact.

You can run the samples. I assume that means that you can access the detail data from within Analysis Services. This is a good thing, because it means that you've already got basic connectivity from Analysis Services.

When you try to build a cube, what happens? Does the computer turn off, spit blue smoke, show "I Love Lucy" re-runs? I understand that you're frustrated, but I don't understand why... I can't tell what the machine is doing (or more accurately not doing) that is frustrating you.

Please tell me if my assumptions are correct, fill in the details where they aren't correct, and give more information where I'm clueless. I suspect that you're pretty close, but missing some small but crucial detail.

-PatP

Hi,

Ok....I can run SQL and do queries and get results. So all is fine there, using the databases my friend sent.

Where the trouble is, analysis manager says setup datasource through the control panel before you start. When I do that, I am asked to name the datasource and select drivers. The list pops up and has a bunch...ie, ,dbo....xls...and other's but no .mdf.

Then I close the control panel and open analysis services and log onto my server. I open new data source and a box comes up. It asks me to select a fact table.....But there is nothing in the box. there is no data source to click on and if there was once,(I've done it so often now) that there was no fact table or any tables in the box. But if I click on the sample, Tutorial, then all kinds of fact tables appear.

I hope that clears it up. I want to use AS so I can build some cubes. But can't do that, cause I can't get my data source connected to AS. So as you can see I'm lost.

Thanks,
    Milfredo

Here are the results of my trial and errors. I discovered tonight, that my problem with Analysis Services, not being able to get it going, was caused by not changing the default database. I did that and now I can login and am starting to build cubes.

Here's another problem. When I build a cube, I can save it and everything seems to be fine. I follow the wizard to a Tee. Then when I get to the step, where I'm suppose to be able to browse the data in the cube, I get error message that the data can't be accessed and it says 'Unknown error', now how the heck am I suppose to figure that out?

Milfredo