Question Unanswered: New Here - Verrrrry Basic Question

Hi, I just found this forum while researching help on a homework assignment. We've just started working with Access in my MIS class in the last couple of weeks. The instructor put together an assignment with little or no explanation, with the idea that we will do our own research to find out how to do it. I've got most of it figured out, but am having trouble with part of the report. The scenario is simple, a database of the students in the class, including a table with students names, majors, advisors, and accumulated credit hours. We also have an advisors table and a majors table. The part I'm having trouble with is arriving at the students' classifications by way of their credit hours (0-29=Freshman, 30-59=Sophomore, 60-89=Junior, 90+ =Senior). I'm sure this is a very elementary process for those who work with Access, and I know there is more than one way to go about it, but I really don't know where to begin. Do I do it in the report design, through a query, If statement, etc.? I'm clueless!

P.S. I'm a 54-year old grandmother who just returned to college after 34 years, and these things don't come as easy as they do to you younger guys who've grown up with computers!

Zagreb - Croatia

Hello Cgolds!

Look at "DemoStudentsA2000.mdb" (attachment).
    There you have got "Table1", "Query1", "Query2Crostab"
    "Query3Crostab", "Module1".
    Try Queryes, I think it is what you need.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Southampton, UK
    MStef-ZG has demonstrated a solution by using a custom made function. This is a very powerful method for solving many problems including this.

Here's another solution that only requires the use of a table and query. The query to use is called a "cartesian product" (research!!!). Suppose you have the following two tables:

Table: Students

Table: Classification

You can then create the following (Cartesian product) query to generate the results you require.

SELECT Students.StudentID, Students.Hours, Classification.Classification
    FROM Classification, Students
    WHERE (Students.Hours)>[RangeMin] And (Students.Hours)<[RangeMax]