Unanswered: Print dbf data file structures of a project

My project has about 50 dbf files/30 CDX files. It is written in Alpha5

I am looking for a freeware app that will print a report of the structure of each dbf with data file name , some field reference #, name of each field, type & size. I have found some apps (Shareware) that print 1 dbf per page but wud like them one after the other continuous.

BIG thanks for the help.

DeWayne

I don't know of any app that would do this, it won't be to big of a deal to write one though. I usually open the table in dbase & set print to alternate file name and list struture to print, which dumps the structure to the alternate file named. But you could write a little clipper app to do the same thing for any or all of the dbf in a given directory.

Thanks,

Thanks for the suggestions but I am not a programmer so I don't know what you are referring to. Sorry about that. I don't have clipper.

Provided Answers: 54
    Try the attached DBF.COM file.

-PatP
    Attached Files Attached Files

Got it but one of my dbf's is called work request.dbf & it says it is not a dbf. Another prob is some field names are LONGER than 10 characters (a DBase standard?). Building has a field name "DESCRIPTION"
    Thanks but how do send the output to a printer when I run dbf.com.

I'd use something like:
    Code:
    cd >dbfdoc.txt
    for %c in (*.dbf) do dbf %c >>dbfdoc.txt
    Then I'd use Notepad or another tool to read dbfdoc.txt and print it.

-PatP

dee cee,

I see the NOT a DBF file all the time. If you use EXCEL to open and save a DBF file you have killed the header & need a utility of some sort to fix it. I use Y2KDBFIX.exe, not sure where we got it, but it is shareware and you should be able to search the web to find it somewhere. It will clean up the header ( if that is the problem ).

Jim C.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreamer
    dee cee,

I see the NOT a DBF file all the time. If you use EXCEL to open and save a DBF file you have killed the header & need a utility of some sort to fix it. I use Y2KDBFIX.exe, not sure where we got it, but it is shareware and you should be able to search the web to find it somewhere. It will clean up the header ( if that is the problem ).

Jim C.
    I did not use Excel to open & save it so that is not the reason. I ran it right out of my dbf application. My app uses Alpha5.

Just curious, but did the "two liner" I suggested do what you need?

As a separate thought, its been ages since I've used Alpha 5 (about ten years), but doesn't it have the ability to show you the DBF file structure within Alpha 5 itself? If I remember right, it has a menu option that allows you to print nearly the same thing as the "two liner" that I posted, right from within Alpha 5!

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Just curious, but did the "two liner" I suggested do what you need?

As a separate thought, its been ages since I've used Alpha 5 (about ten years), but doesn't it have the ability to show you the DBF file structure within Alpha 5 itself? If I remember right, it has a menu option that allows you to print nearly the same thing as the "two liner" that I posted, right from within Alpha 5!

-PatP
    Please see my comments below. No it did not work as the report on some of the DBF files said it is not a DBase file. And Alpha5 does not have that built-in though you can buy an add-on from a 3rd party for US$50 which is very complete.

OT, you should have a look at Alpha5, it has come a long way & we are very glad that we decided to use it for our application. Much easier to use than others with very reasonable prices to purchase.

Thanks for the help.

DeWayne