Exclamation Unanswered: trouble getting Foxpro2.6 to open in XP

I downloaded a patch from the Microsoft site to solve the "minus zero or overflow" error message I get when I try to open Foxpro2.6 in WindowsXP. I've downloaded it repeatedly and it takes no time to download (which I find suspicious) but it also just flashes a dos screen momentarily whenever I try to open it, and nothing else happens. I have copied it into the Foxpro folder, and I still get the error message. I have also reset the compatibility of the foxpro program from the icon on my desktop, first to Windows 98 - no go. Then to Windows 200 - still no open.

Help! We've got to get this program running by Sunday to launch an expedition to survey Chorus Frogs and need the laptop for data entry! If anyone has advice, you can e-mail me. Aleta

What happens if you open a command window first then run it?
    DSummZZZ

Even more Fox stuff at
    www.davesummers.net/foxprolinks.htm

I took the laptop to a techie and he found the second of "two files" that had been unzipped from the downloaded patch, kicking around loose in my downloads folder. I had tried to find this file but didn't know what it would look like. I should have followed instructions to have the patch it unzipped into a new, empty folder, so I could see both parts of it. The second file was a "read me" with instructions in how to apply the patch in DOS. And it worked! So my problem was not with the patch itself, but just in not knowing how to apply it! Now we have FoxPro 2.6 working well on two laptops with WindowsXP and we are doing roadside surveys for Chorus Frogs with a GPS plugged into the laptop and the data gets keyed right into FoxPro on the fly - no more long days post-trip, spent transcribing handwritten data into the Desktop computer! The mapping program is there as well, and we can slow to a stop as we watch our red triangle approaching the point on the laptop's monitor! If anyone's interested, the Chorus Frog page is http://pinicola.ca/pseutote.htm

Glad you got it working.

I'll check out the site.
    DSummZZZ

Even more Fox stuff at
    www.davesummers.net/foxprolinks.htm