Unanswered: Access password to limit results

Looking for a way to have a user enter in a password, but then that username/password combo will limit the data that they can view. So a username is entered, and they can see data from one department. Or a manager enters in a user name and they can see data from multiple departments. Using a drop down to currently select the data, but people can see the other departments too.

Thanks!

Chris

Provided Answers: 1
    You need to implement an entire user-level security scheme to do that. Google for "Access User Level Security".
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I've read about it, did not realize you could limit the data viewed from a single table.

So if there were 10 departments data in one table (say department, date, units), you can set up the user defined security to only see parts of that data?

Just want to make sure before jumping into it.

Thanks again...

Provided Answers: 1
    Yup, that's the idea. There are more ways to do this than you can shake a stick at. It's not a topic to take lightly though. Make sure you've considered your needs completely before deciding on a security schema.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Security

This is the way I do it, others will do it differently. First, I have a well protected front-end in MSAccess so no-one can get behind the scenes (no average user that is. If someone at our company was an Access hacker, I'd notice sooner or later as we have several logs to track what has happened in our back-end - SQL Server.) Next, I might have buttons on the form (see attached example) which limit certain users to certain queries/reports.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Hi, the idea is if you are using Access as both a frontend an backend, you will need to create individual queries to cater to different groups of people.