Question Unanswered: Migration from HP roman8 to Power5 IBM iso_1

Hi all,

my purpose is to migrate all databases from ASE12.5.3 on HP with roman8 charset to ASE12.5.3 on Power5 IBM with iso_1 charset.

No way to do it with a dump/load accross platforms, because it does not support a change of charset. Even if it is not written in the documentation, tests show the deficience of this procedure (just in this case : migrating from roman8 to iso_1).

I'm wondering if it could be possible to do this with a rep server, without interrupting the HP system (which would become the primary system). The first step would be the materialization of our databases in the replicated IBM system. Is this process disturbing for the primary system ?

I know that a usual replication works well, but in this particular case of massive materialization (more than 100G), have any of you experience that kind of process with a change of charset ? Any shared experience is welcome .

Willy is on vacation
    roman8 to iso_1 is supported by Sybase and it works without issues. In fact without this support the XPDL(X Platform Dump/Load) feature is useless.

What errors do you get?

Automatic Atomic Materialization using repserver for 100gb is a waste of time. You might as well bcp out the data and bcp it back in.

I know that's sound pretty crazy, but here are the facts :
    - attempting to dump/load, I got the message
    The database you are attempting to LOAD was DUMPed under a different sort
    order ID (24) or character set ID (4) than the ones running on this server
    (SortOrd = 54, CharSet = 1). If the sort orders differ, at least one of
    them is non-binary
    - opening a case to Sybase, they finally answered :
    you cannot load a dump from a different charset unless you change the
    charset of the receiving server

Geneva, Switzerland
    The relevant info here is that one or both of the sort orders are non-binary sort orders.

Note that this is also a problem if you are doing dump/load on the SAME platform - it's not a new problem.

The solution is to either load the same sort order on the target server, or change the sort order on the source server to a binary sort order before dumping the data.