Unanswered: Generation Data Groups

I'm very new to DB2, I just installed DB2 Workgroup Server Edition 8.2 on Windows XP.
    I've been giving some .bin files that are purportedly an output of a generation data group. If this is the case, how do I import these objects into an instance I've created in DB2?
    Any explanations or websites about this topic would be helpful. Thank you.

DB21085I Instance "DB2" uses "32" bits and DB2 code release "SQL08020" with
    level identifier "03010106".
    Informational tokens are "DB2 v8.1.7.445", "s040812", "WR21342", and FixPak
    Product is installed at "C:\PROGRA~1\IBM\SQLLIB".

Product Name = "DB2 Workgroup Server Edition"
    Product Identifier = "DB2WSE"
    Version Information = "8.2"
    Expiry Date = "Permanent"
    Concurrent User Policy = "Disabled"
    Registered User Policy = "Disabled"
    Enforcement Policy = "Soft Stop"
    Number of processors = "1"
    Number of licensed processors = "4"
    Annotation = ""
    Other information = ""

First of all, I would upgrade to FP11. You can download the upgrade for free on the IBM website.

Generation data groups are used to create mainframe (OS/390) datasets (multiple versions of the same dataset name). I have never heard of that term on UNIX, Linux, or Windows, but maybe that is my ignorance.

If you want to move mainframe DB2 data to your Windows DB2 server and load it into a database, you should search the forum on ways to do that. Probably the easiest way is catalog the remote mainframe system on a local DB2 client and run the export command, and then import to DB2 on Windows.

DB2 is not a toy. If you are not a DBA with some DB2 experience you might want to get some help.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Marcus, you're completely right there: no GDGs on UNIX, Linux, or MS-Windows.

jfenwick, most likely you just want the data from the last version of the GDG ? In that case I would suggest to convert it to a "normal" sequential dataset om mainframe first.

Also, make sure that the data in there will be useful at the MS-Windows side. You most likely will need some sort of text file, which should be in ASCII (or compatible) encoding.
    --_Peter Vanroose,
    __IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS
    __IBM Certified Application Developer
    __ABIS Training and Consulting