Unanswered: Performance Tuning Question

Hello, I would like to know how to find the average number of read I/O's for each table per transaction.

Basically I know how to take snapshots/event monitors but I dont know how use/interpret the information to tune the database/SQL. Is there is any book which explains this phenomenon or does it come only by experience ?

Thanks,
    solomon

Have you read the Admin Guide for Performance ?

Also, google for Scott Hayes, Phil Gunning, Martin Hubel ... You will find a number of useful articules that will give a good starting point ...

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

ok, Thanks for the info. I will look into those.

You can also create a view using the user defined functions provided by IBM. This will allow you to take a snapshot of tables and order by rows_read in descending order. From there, once you see which table is most hit, you can get a snapshot of of the dynamic sql(if using dynamic) and only select the queries against the most active table. This will tell you if you how much is being read from memory and how much is being read from disk(i/o's). I always try and have as few physical reads as possible.