Unanswered: Listbox Scrollbar Oddity

Mmmkay, running Access 2002 on XP Pro. I've got a multicolumn listbox that gets its contents from a query. Multi-select is set to extended. Colors are changed. Everything else is default.

Pretty straightforward, I would have thought, but if you try to use the scrollbar the events hit the list items underneath it. (Err... let me know if I need to describe this more.)

There's a workaround: call requery on the listbox object, but it has to be called after form.load; I do it in form.timer. Oddly enough, the scrollbar changes to the pre-XP appearance.

I'm mostly putting this here in case someone has the same problem or maybe knows something about this bug. I'll try to put together a minimal test case to send to MS's happy bug fixing gnomes.

Perhaps you should explain what you mean by "if you try to use the scrollbar the events hit the list items underneath it"... might help.

Have you tried a Compact & Repair recently?
    Max Hugen
    Hugen Enterprises Pty Ltd
    www.hugen.com.au
    Australia

<i>Perhaps you should explain what you mean by "if you try to use the scrollbar the events hit the list items underneath it"... </i>

When you try to drag the scrollbar on the listbox or click the arrows you're generating events, right? Mousedown, mouseup and such. The scrollbar ought to intercept those events and respond by scrolling the listbox. Instead what happens is that it behaves as though there is no scrollbar there. So you click the up arrow and it selects the first visible list item. Click the down arrow and it selects the last visible list item.

<i>Have you tried a Compact & Repair recently?</i>

I don't think file corruption is the cause.

How many records are in the listbox? What happens if you limit the listbox to the Top 10 records? How many columns do you have? Are they all visible? Just curious.

Kind of sounds like a memory issue. Have you tried it on another system?

Test file

Here's a minimal case. Let me know if it behaves as expected for you. Just open the form and you should be able to scroll the listbox. There are no macros or anything, just one listbox.

So I think I can rule out memory issues, conflicts with VBA, database corruption, etc.

--edit:

Also, if you have similar installation and can retrace these steps and send me a test file:

Windows XP Pro: Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    Access: Version 10.0 Build 6771

1. Create a blank 2002 mdb file.
    2. Create a form with one listbox.
    3. In the listbox wizard, 3 columns, 1 hidden column as key.
    4. put 1;"a";"b";2;"c";"d";3;"e";"f"... etc as the row source data.
    5. I resized it a bit before testing it.

If I can get this behavior to replicate on other machines I'll try to send it to MS.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sco08y; 04-19-06 at 19:13.

Does the minimal database exhibit the behavior you were describing? When I open it and scroll it works fine. I am using 2002 on a Windows 2000 Pro system.

Did it just start happening? Did you load anything recently? In your first post you said the listbox was based on a query. Is the RowSource a query or a value list? If it is a value list then there is a limit to how many characters you assign to the RowSource property. Any chance that this is the case?

Otherwise it sounds like you might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling Access. I would try other systems first of course.

Windows XP Pro: Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    Access: Version 11.0 Build 6566
    This is Access 2003.
    Your "minimal case" worked fine for me, as did running your instructions in same post.