Unanswered: Split group-count into months?

I have a log table that tracks downloads. The important columns are HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, and EVENTDATE.

The report currently groups SOFTWARE to HARDWARE and counts all without distingushing EVENTDATE. Now I want to add columns for each month of the year, basically showing monthly download activity.

Example: (first count is total for entire table next I want to break out into months)

HARDWARE a | 17,244
    SOFTWARE a | 609
    SOFTWARE b | 4,395
    SOFTWARE c | 392
    SOFTWARE d | 10,059
    SOFTWARE e | 1,647
    SOFTWARE f | 142

HARDWARE b | 260
    SOFTWARE a | 235
    SOFTWARE b | 25

I tried the Select Expert but that applies it to all my formulas.

Help?

*edit*

What I'm really asking is how can I apply this to a formula and still count by my group:
    {SCHEMA.EVENTDATE} in DateTime (2006, 4, 1, 00, 00, 00) to DateTime (2006, 4, 30, 23, 59, 59)

Does any of this make sense?
    Last edited by LaserCobra; 04-19-06 at 12:35.

Create a Formula @April =
    {SCHEMA.EVENTDATE} In DateTime (2006, 4, 1, 00, 00, 00) To DateTime (2006, 4, 30, 23, 59, 59)

Do this for EACH Month, modifying the appropriate date ranges.

Then, put the months in Columns across the report, and under each Month, do a RunningTotal:

- Summary: Field To Summrize | @April, Type of Summary = Count
    - Evaluate: Use a Forumula | {@April} = True
    - Reset: On Change of Field | Software

The RunningTotal in each column under the respective month should evaluate to the value you are looking for per date range.

If this is not exactly what you want, perhaps it will give you some ideas how to approach your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserCobra
    I have a log table that tracks downloads. The important columns are HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, and EVENTDATE.

The report currently groups SOFTWARE to HARDWARE and counts all without distingushing EVENTDATE. Now I want to add columns for each month of the year, basically showing monthly download activity.

Example: (first count is total for entire table next I want to break out into months)

HARDWARE a | 17,244
    SOFTWARE a | 609
    SOFTWARE b | 4,395
    SOFTWARE c | 392
    SOFTWARE d | 10,059
    SOFTWARE e | 1,647
    SOFTWARE f | 142

HARDWARE b | 260
    SOFTWARE a | 235
    SOFTWARE b | 25

I tried the Select Expert but that applies it to all my formulas.

Help?

*edit*

What I'm really asking is how can I apply this to a formula and still count by my group:
    {SCHEMA.EVENTDATE} in DateTime (2006, 4, 1, 00, 00, 00) to DateTime (2006, 4, 30, 23, 59, 59)

Does any of this make sense?

Perfect!!! I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I racked my brain all day trying to figure it out. Google almost kicked me off their site because I was searching so much.

I really appreciate you taking the time to post up.

Looks like it's working!!!! Woo Hoo!

I had to drop the running total down to Group 2's footer for some reason. Otherwise it would result in zero's. I also dropped group 2 (software) to the footer as well so they would be side-by-side (software name - count for month). I still don't understand that logic but I'm sure it's in a book.

Thank you so much. I'm one step closer to clearly understanding CR.