Unanswered: Critical Patch Update April 2006

Hi,

I'm running Oracle 9i db (9.2.0.1) on UNIX AIX 5,2.
    Do I need to first update Oracle to 9.2.0.7 level and then apply critical Security patches?

Thank you,
    chalie

Yes, we always recommend updating to the current patchset level, then apply the one-off patches (which is what the CPU patches are).
    JoeB
    save disk space, use smaller fonts

You need to apply a patchset first, but not necessarily 9207. The CPU is not certified on 9201 through 9205. You can apply patchset 9206, for example, and then apply the CPU. Or you can apply patchset 9207 and then the CPU. Oracle tells me they've done both.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm

Critical Patch Update April 2006

Thank you Mark, could you give detail procedure to apply patchset and critical patch .

Thx
    chalie

The instructions are rather lengthy, and there are many "ifs" to consider. Like, if you have such and such option then do the following. Fortunately, the instructions are contained in the readme file that ships with the patch.

Getting a patchset from Metalink, like 9206 or 9207, is simple. Getting the right security patch can be a pain in the neck. Many large customers will request certain one-off patches be incorporated, so Oracle creates special editions of each security patch for those customers. You don't want to run "their" patches. Last summer when Oracle released the CPUJUL2005 patch for 9206 RAC on Solaris, I had to open a TAR to get help, and even then it took the support analyst a while to figure out which security patch was the one for me. It was actually a good thing it took a while, because Oracle found and fixed a bug in the security patch while I was waiting.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm