Unanswered: Need help Determining Database Type

Hello

My problem is that I have been handed a floppy disk that contains database information that I need to retrieve and simply save to a comma separated text file.

I can't find what program to open this databse in and I haven't been able to find anything searching alltheweb and google.

The files are:
    - CANANEW.DAT
    - CANANEW.DES
    - CANANEW.FOR
    - CANANEW.SSI
    - CANANEW.SSD
    - CANANEW.PRO

So there are six files which make up this database. It's a very small database as it can fit on a floppy disk and only comes to a total size of about 650kb.

Does anyone recognize these file types and what program they open or can be imported to?

I'd appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance.
    Marcel

Check out the file extensions here.

Note DAT is a common file extension.

Any idea of a tool to use?

Thanks.

It looks like this is a SAS meta file database.

Does anyone know of a tool to use to get the data out of these files? Rather than have to buy the SAS database management consol.

I just need to extract the data, never have to use these files again after I get the data out.

Marcel

Marcel

Have you tried opening the files in a text editor?

Perhaps it's only 1 file, say the DAT, that actually has the data.

The other files might be being used for data specification.

Yes

Yes I have opened all of the files in a text editor, and I have found lots of the data in the .dat file. However there is also lots of data in the .for and .pro and .des files that don't seem to align with the dat file.

This is why I need to try to figure out a way to view the data with the program it was created in.

All I know is that it is meta data and the program it was created in was a very old dos program. I can't find an old dos database program that matches these file names.

Has anyone else heard of these file types used in an old database?

Thank,
    Marcel

Provided Answers: 54
    This sounds like an old (circa 1988) file manager that was quite popular with Turbo-C. If I'm correct, the .FOR files would be forms, .DES are indicies, .DAT are the raw data, and .PRO are user access information. I don't remember the .SSI and .SSD files from the library that I used, but they could be application specific too.

-PatP

Marcel,

Norie, I believe, is correct in that DAT is the file that has the data. You should be able to open it in NOTEPAD first and note the position of the columns, then open it in excel and format the cells based on the layout you noted from the NOTEPAD review. If it is in neatly aligned columns then it is an ASCII SDF and by figuring out where a column starts and ends you can walk EXCEL thru setting the layout up correctly. If you see commas or quotes & commas then you should be able to open in EXCEL and it will fill in the column properly. It may take the first record for a heading though. Once you get it into EXCEL you can SAVE AS any of the files type available from EXCEL. The other files aren't database files but ancillary files to the old app, is my guess, and may have little or no value without the original app.

Jim C.