Unanswered: Neophyte Question: Is Postgres What I Need??

I want multithreaded or parallel processing of single queriers. I want multithreaded processing of single genetic alogrithms. I want multithreaded processing of batch queries. I want a single user/single query to be able to take full advantage of the power and speed offered by a multicored multiprocessor server.

The databases will contain 5-20 million records, each with 300 fields. The purpose of the work is to research the occurance of mathematical relationships between the fields. Speed is of the essence. What's my best choice, Postgres or something else? Hardware has not been purchased yet and it will be tailored to the software.

Sorry about my inexperience with DBMS but feel free to fire away. I'll learn whatever is necessary to get the job done. I just need some help getting pointed in the right direction.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by geovh
    I want multithreaded or parallel processing of single queriers. I want multithreaded processing of single genetic alogrithms. I want multithreaded processing of batch queries. I want a single user/single query to be able to take full advantage of the power and speed offered by a multicored multiprocessor server.

The databases will contain 5-20 million records, each with 300 fields. The purpose of the work is to research the occurance of mathematical relationships between the fields. Speed is of the essence. What's my best choice, Postgres or something else? Hardware has not been purchased yet and it will be tailored to the software.

Sorry about my inexperience with DBMS but feel free to fire away. I'll learn whatever is necessary to get the job done. I just need some help getting pointed in the right direction.

Thanks.
    I'm not sure. I know that PostgreSQL supports multi-threaded processing and multi-core processors under linux/unix platforms, but not so well under Windows.

The database size is not an issue.

If you plan on using the database primarily in the "read" mode, indexing would be critical for rerieval.

It really depends upon your feature "needs" for a relational database. If there's not a lot of relational links in the tables though, it may not make sense to use a full-featured database like PG, that offers very robust, stable, (and mature) relationship enforcement, triggers, stored procedures, etc. If you don't need these features, then a database like MySQL may be a better choice.

This is probably a good question to raise over at the Postgres Performance mailing list / archives.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

geovh

Loquin

Thanks for the reply. The Postgres Performance mailing list had some good info on it. I found that Bizgres MPP does parallel processing. Bisgres MPP is a commercial version of the open source Bizgres that does not do parallel processing. Bizgres and Bizgres MPP are modifications of Postgres and Postgres users should find them nearly the same as Postgres to use. http://greenplum.com/products/bizgresMpp.php

Also, while following the trail you started me on, I found ExtenDB which works with Postgres. They offer parallel processing in a commercial version and a free version. The free version only handles four processors (or threads?), but they claim near one for one scaling.
    http://www.extendb.com

Thanks