Unanswered: SharePoint Configuration & SQL Express - Error 4060

While trying to "Set Configuration Database Server" for Windows SharePoint Services I receive the error:
    "Cannot open database "SharePoint" requested by the login.
    The login failed. (Error code: 4060)

I set up a test bed server 'SNET' with WinServer03 SP1, IIS 6. SQL Server Express, and SharePoint Services.

In "Set Configuration Database Server" I used:
    Database server: snet\sqlexpress
    SQL Server database name: SharePoint (I know real imaginative)
    Database connection type: * Use Windows authentication
    X Connect to existing configuration database.

If I try "Use SQL Authentication"
    "Login failed for user <username>. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (Error code: 18452)"

First let me say that while I'm not a newbie, as usual I've bitten off more than I can chew comfortably. Server '03, Active Directory, IIS 6, SQLExpress, and SharePoint are all relatively new to me, hence the test bed server, and I'm on a pretty steep learning curve.

But what's life without a challenge.

So the short and sweet of it is can somebody point me in the right direction to find the root cause of this error. I do have other programs running with this instance of SQLExpress and doing so quite happily. And I've given myself god privileges in AD just to try to get around this.

Basic checkup is to ensure user is authenticated to connect to the database.
    If you’re connecting to a network by means of TCP/IP, named pipes, or remote procedure call (RPC), the Windows Firewall will block the ability of the database to connect to the network. You should not have a problem because the network and SQL Browser technology are already turned off by default.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP