Unanswered: SQL Installation 5.0 issues

Hello,
    First off I would like to say that all firewalls are off.

I am currently attempting to install the new SQL 5.0 server on my work PC. I have gone to the website and gotten it from : http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html

I downloaded
    Windows (x86) 5.0.20a 37.1M

Anyways, after I download it and run using the setup.exe in the zip file I go to the configuration. I get to a windown that says "MySQL Server Instance Configuration" and I get 3 buttons to click on the bottom
    1) <back
    2) Execute
    3) Cancel

So I click the execute

It works for the "prepare configuration"
    It works for the Write congifuration file"
    It Fails on Start service

The error it reads is "the service could not be started. Error: 0"

I have gone into the docuementation and cannot find any error:0
    The server side errors all start with 1000
    The client side errors all start with 2000

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working?

Thanks for your help
    This message is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight
    variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and
    beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Is this the only mysql server software on your computer or do you already have an earlier version?

The most common reason why the service will not start is that there is already a service by the same name or there is already a service listening on the same port number.

To the best of my knowledge, no other SQL server has ever been placed on my computer. But, this is my work computer....so the only way for it to be on there would be for it to have been loaded on by some patch sent out by the company. With that said I would have to say no. No earlier version of SQL is on my computer...

btw it is MySQL

thanks for the reply

It sounds like you are in a networked environment. Is this Windows NT/2000/XP and do you have Administrator privileges? If you don't have Administrator privileges, you won't be able to install any windows service.

Also try this from the manual -
    2.3.13. Troubleshooting a MySQL Installation Under Windows
    When installing and running MySQL for the first time, you may encounter certain errors that prevent the MySQL server from starting. The purpose of this section is to help you diagnose and correct some of these errors.

Your first resource when troubleshooting server issues is the error log. The MySQL server uses the error log to record information relevant to the error that prevents the server from starting. The error log is located in the data directory specified in your my.ini file. The default data directory location is C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\data. See Section 5.12.1, “The Error Log”.

Another source of information regarding possible errors is the console messages displayed when the MySQL service is starting. Use the NET START MySQL command from the command line after installing mysqld as a service to see any error messages regarding the starting of the MySQL server as a service. See Section 2.3.11, “Starting MySQL as a Windows Service”.

The following examples show other common error messages you may encounter when installing MySQL and starting the server for the first time:

If the MySQL server cannot find the mysql privileges database or other critical files, you may see these messsages:

System error 1067 has occurred.
    Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist

These messages often occur when the MySQL base or data directories are installed in different locations than the default locations (C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0 and C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\data, respectively).

This situation may occur when MySQL is upgraded and installed to a new location, but the configuration file is not updated to reflect the new location. In addition, there may be old and new configuration files that conflict. Be sure to delete or rename any old configuration files when upgrading MySQL.

If you have installed MySQL to a directory other than C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0, you need to ensure that the MySQL server is aware of this through the use of a configuration (my.ini) file. The my.ini file needs to be located in your Windows directory, typically C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT. You can determine its exact location from the value of the WINDIR environment variable by issuing the following command from the command prompt:

C:\> echo %WINDIR%

An option file can be created and modified with any text editor, such as Notepad. For example, if MySQL is installed in E:\mysql and the data directory is D:\MySQLdata, you can create the option file and set up a [mysqld] section to specify values for the basedir and datadir parameters:

[mysqld]
    # set basedir to your installation path
    basedir=E:/mysql
    # set datadir to the location of your data directory
    datadir=D:/MySQLdata

Note that Windows pathnames are specified in option files using (forward) slashes rather than backslashes. If you do use backslashes, you must double them:

[mysqld]
    # set basedir to your installation path
    basedir=C:\\Program Files\\MySQL\\MySQL Server 5.0
    # set datadir to the location of your data directory
    datadir=D:\\MySQLdata

If you change the datadir value in your MySQL configuration file, you must move the contents of the existing MySQL data directory before restarting the MySQL server.

See Section 2.3.7, “Creating an Option File”.

If you reinstall or upgrade MySQL without first stopping and removing the existing MySQL service and install MySQL using the MySQL Configuration Wizard, you may see this error:

Error: Cannot create Windows service for MySql. Error: 0

This occurs when the Configuration Wizard tries to install the service and finds an existing service with the same name.

One solution to this problem is to choose a service name other than mysql when using the configuration wizard. This allows the new service to be installed correctly, but leaves the outdated service in place. Although this is harmless, it is best to remove old services that are no longer in use.

To permanently remove the old mysql service, execute the following command as a user with administrative privileges, on the command-line:

C:\> sc delete mysql
    [SC] DeleteService SUCCESS

If the sc utility is not available for your version of Windows, download the delsrv utility from http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...g/delsrv-o.asp and use the delsrv mysql syntax.

side note

Couple things,
    First I am attempting to get admin privlidges for my CPU... so as soon as I get that I will update on how that is going.

Second is it possible to get MYSQL to work on windows 95A?

The short answer is - Yes, Win95 is supported.

Here is some info from the manual -
    On Windows 95, 98, or Me, MySQL clients always connect to the server using TCP/IP. (This allows any machine on your network to connect to your MySQL server.) Because of this, you must make sure that TCP/IP support is installed on your machine before starting MySQL. You can find TCP/IP on your Windows CD-ROM.

Note that if you are using an old Windows 95 release (for example, OSR2), it is likely that you have an old Winsock package; MySQL requires Winsock 2. You can get the newest Winsock from http://www.microsoft.com/. Windows 98 has the new Winsock 2 library, so it is unnecessary to update the library.
    Also, mysql cannot be started and run as a service on these older operating systems and must be started from the command line and run in the background.

Here is a gotya from the manual -
    Windows 95 leaks about 200 bytes of main memory for each thread creation. Each connection in MySQL creates a new thread, so you should not run mysqld for an extended time on Windows 95 if your server handles many connections! Newer versions of Windows don't suffer from this bug.
    Last edited by dbmab; 04-28-06 at 19:54.