Thread: Problem face

Unanswered: Problem face

Dear All Dbforums members,

I am new members of this forum. I want to place here two problems.
    I am used a shipping software which developed by CA-Clipper language
    and this software running under Novellnetware v-6. Our all workstations
    is running under Windows XP with SP2

By using this software when we add or update some datas, its randomly quited from the programme and and shows below two error messages.

1. "Unrecoverable error 5313: Out of space for VM swap file"

2. "Unrecoverable error 416: Read error on overlay file"

Somebody could help me what does it mean the above two error and how could we solve this error message by ourselvs.

Awaiting the wonderful reply from someone, who basically well known the
    clipper languages.

Thanks in advance for nice co-operation in this regards.

Sharif

Provided Answers: 59
    Hi Prosiyam, and welcome to the forum
    I moved your thread to the section that will be more appropriate for Clipper questions
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 54
    It has been years since I've used Clipper, but these are problems that I remember!

The first error you've mentioned, "Unrecoverable error 5313: Out of space for VM swap file" is caused by not enough disk space wherever the workstation's temp files are stored. Be sure that a TEMP environment variable is set, and that the drive that it points to has at least a few megabytes of free space. If you are running from Windows 2000 or later, you can set the memory parameters using the CONFIG.NT file to provide extended memory for your MS-DOS based programs, which will hugely improve a Clipper application's performance.

Your second error, "Unrecoverable error 416: Read error on overlay file" is caused when the program references one of the overlays produced by the linker. Since there are many linkers, the exact format, file name, etc changes for these files, so I can't give you specific steps for fixing this problem. You'll need to consult the program's documentation or do some detective work to figure the details of this problem out.

-PatP

Dear PatP,
    Thank your very much for your fix. I have understood. All drives- c:,d:,e:,f: has lot of enough disk space like 4.00GB space per drives. All workstations is running under windows xp with sp2. I need one more assistance from you. Could you please provide me as an example, how could I set TEMP environment variables and memory parameters in the config.nt file. Please give me the clue, so that I shall try in my PC.

Please assist me and I aml appreciating your kind cooperation.

Sharif.

Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767 for more details.

The problem here is that you need to understand Clipper, the application used (and how that application was built and the environment for which it was designed), and how Windows XP emulates MS-DOS in order to make good decisions. This is a fairly large undertaking, probably 4-8 hours of work, so it isn't well suited to a simple exchange of messages.

You really need to have someone that can come to your site to research and help you resolve this problem. It will take days, probably weeks to completely resolve this problem by exchanging messages, versus a day or less for someone at your site.

-PatP

Two thoughts occured to me that might help.

The simplest one to try would be to create an XP shortcut to your file. RIght click on the shortcut, and choose properties. Select the Compatibility tab, and set the compatability to Windows 98. No guarantee, but this might be enough to get you running, and it is a lot simpler than having to understand everything you'd need to know to successfully edit config.nt to get the same effect.

If that doesn't work, check KB#103656 for more details on how to set up config.nt to get what you need.

-PatP

Dear Pat,
    Thanks for your nice co-operation, may be my problem is going to be solved.
    But, I have faced another problem, When we access into that programme the start menu to be opened takes some time and when we quit from the programme also it takes some times. We did not face this sort of situation when we were in windows 98 as a workstation. Do you have any idea about this sort of problem. Do u have pls let me know. For your better understanding here I mentioned our auto.nt and conf.nt file for your kind perusal.
    AUTOEXEC.NT
    --------------
    SET TEMP=COS
    SET CLIPPER=F200

CONFIG.NT
    --------------
    FILES=100
    BUFFERS=40
    DOS=HIGH,UMB

Please advise me what to do at this situation.
    Sharif.

Dear Pat,

Can you provide us the options that our programme first opening menu comes very first and quited from the programme very fast.

Awaiting for your quick response

Sharif.

Without knowing a great deal about the Clipper program, I can't tell you how to configure your XP system to run that program. Clipper is a language and a run time environment that was years ahead of its time. There were quite literally thousands of add-ons for it that allowed programs to range from quite simple to monsterously complex.

In order to configure your program and environment to get the best performance, I'd need to understand both of them in great detail, and more importantly I'd need to understand how the program was going to be used. This is really a case where you need on-site professional help. I am not able to help you fix this problem by trading a few messages over the internet... That will take a detailed understanding, and probably some "hands on" experience in your environment.

-PatP