Red face Unanswered: Databases continually locking and slowing/crashing asp pages

This is a strange problem that has been happening for a few months now but getting worse. We started to investigate the problem a little more and came up with this.

We have about 12 Access databases -- mostly pretty small, like 1MB, a couple 3MBs. Some are mostly static while some are more interactive -- allowing updates, etc. Our entire website isn't super busy and it's mostly just a few staff doing the updating. Anyway, every few days all of the asp pages crash. They're blank until they time out. Html pages and php show up fine. They'll stay blank for 5 or 10 minutes and then be fine. When I look at the databases in the server folder almost every single database has a .ldb file associated with it -- at the same time. If I keep watching the file date/times will increase on each every minute. Then one by one they go away and the asp pages will appear correctly again. A couple days a go this went on for a few hours , every 20 minutes or so. Then yesterday and today, no problems and no excessive .ldb files.

So, I opened a few of the .ldb files and found that the only user listed is the Admin of the Server. It lists the server computer name and the Admin user. Some had it listed 20 times, the same thing. There were no other computers/users listed in any file.

I don't really know how .ldb files work but have read a bit lately. They should only show up if a user actually "opens" a database, right? If the "iuser" user is just browsing and querying there is no .ldb file, is there?

Our server admin has no clue about this either but I kind of think that something is trolling or scanning the server and hanging onto the databases somehow. Could it be a virus scanner? It seems to be an internal connection from the Admin user.

Sorry to babble but I'm at my wits end with the erratic behavior. Oh, it's IIS 5.1. If you need to know more let me know.

I'd sure appreciate anyone's input on this ... Thanks!

Provided Answers: 1
    Are you cleaning up your connections in the ASP page when you're done with the connection?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I've thought about that and I think so. Do you mean closing the connections at the bottom? Then, yes they are closed. Plus, these are sites that have been up for a long time and weren't modified when this all started happening. If you mean something else let me know.