Unanswered: Monitoring Tools

Hi All,

I would like to know if there are any freeware monitoring tools available for PostgreSql Server, I have issues with our postgres server going down frequently, it would be great if the monitoring tool can send me an alert when the service goes down..

Thanks,
    Sumeet.

for starters, I would suggest reviewing chapter 24 in the Postgresql v8.1 manual.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/s...onitoring.html
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Gui

Thanks for the reply,

Is there any GUI available for monitoring. All I want to know is whether the DB server is up or down, Im not so much concerned with the statistics of the DB.

Thanks,
    Sumeet.

Well, by adjusting what PostgreSQL will log, you may be able to find out WHY the server is going down. In other words, you may be able to fix the source of the problem, rather than just take action on a symptom. PostgreSQL has a well deserved reputation of being extraordinarily stable. Do you have any idea as to why the server keeps going down?

That being said, it should be easy to write a simple app which attempts to connect to the server, and if the attempt failed, SMTP the error message to an EMail recipient of your choice.

What OS is your server running under?
    Last edited by loquin; 04-29-06 at 15:30.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Thumbs up Thanks

Sorry for not being 2 specific, Even this is a Mystery to me, We have dedicated servers in our college for running Postgres Servers which run 24/7, And I think there might be some problem in our codebase which breaks down the Server. I dont even have access to the logs. You are right I would develop a small Application in perl which would be able to monitor this and send email as soon as failure occurs.

Thanks for the Help,
    Sumeet.

If your looking for a GUI approach, EnterpriseDB has a DBA Management Server component that runs Jasper Reports that allow's some pretty cool abstraction. You can run EnterpriseDB for free (The basic version that is under 4GB of data) and running that gives you the ability to run the DBA Management Server to monitor other EnterpriseDB databases or "native Postgres databases" as well. It's pretty cool and allows you to not have to write your own...

-Paul