Unanswered: /3GB not working

Hi,

I am on a box with 4 GB of memory that only runs SQL Server. SQL Server is using 1.7 GB as per task manager. There are a lot of databases on this box. I looked at the boot.ini and /3GB was not set. I have done this at least 50 times before: turn on the /3GB switch and SQL Server will use up to 2.7 GB per task manager. (I know it is actually 2GB and 3GB but it seems that in task manager it shows up as 1.7-1.8 and 2.7-2.8)

Anyway back to the story. So I set /3GB, rebooted the server and SQL Server still only consumes up to 1.7GB. I realize that SQL Server might not actually need more memory, but I have a distinct feeling that it wants more but is being constrained; that is, the the /3GB switch is not working. More relevant information:

1) the boot.ini line:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect /3GB

2) max server memory (MB) = 3000

3) min server memory (MB) = 3000

4) awe enabled = 0

5) @@version = 8.00.2039 which is SQL Server 2000 SP4

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

I just found my answer

Just figured out the problem: This server is using SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition. For the benefit of all future readers of this thread, the maximum amount of memory that SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition and SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition can ever use is 2GB. SQL Server 2000 Developer's Edition and SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition will both go higher. The actual amount of memory is dependent on the operating system.