Question Unanswered: DOS Database app and XP Weirdness

Not sure where to look for this one, so thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone has ideas...

I've got some Clipper apps, which have been running smoothly for a loonnngggg time, even on W98... and even on XP. My maintenance platform for these has been W98, but the W98 boxes have been slowly dying, so I'm up for moving the code (including compilers and linkers) to XP.

I've got two XP machines... on one of them, things work just fine, but on the other any of the apps linked with CauseWay die with an error message "the NTVDM CPU has encountered an unhandled exception...". In fact, CauseWay itself will not run on that machine, although it does fine on the other one.

The one that does work is a year-old eMachines box I won at a show April 2005, the pme that does NOT work is a two-year-old "Cybernet" notebook. Many of the exe's and dll's on the notebook are older than on the eMachine, so I'm torn between "needs XP updated" and "configuration issue"...

...any ideas?

Provided Answers: 54
    I'd bet that your config.nt is the difference between the machines. CauseWay needs Extended memory to function. I'd start with KB#103656 and see if that helps.

I'm moving this thread out of the Introductions and into the Other PC Databases because the thread is a lot more technical than it is "Hi, I'm new here" in nature.

-PatP

, device=\whatever\himem.sys,files=40 are the same - I didn't bother with all t

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    I'd bet that your config.nt is the difference between the machines. CauseWay needs Extended memory to function. I'd start with KB#103656 and see if that helps.
    You'd lose that bet... they're absolutely identical, effectively... that is, the old standard three lines dos=high,umb; device=\whatever\himem.sys; files=40 are the same - I didn't bother with all the comments.

The autoexec's are the same, too, except that the "working" one has something called xpdrvr.exe invoked... I only found three references to xpdrvr in google (zero for xpdrvr.exe) and none of them appeared applicable. You ever heard of it?

I'm guessing the problem lies in the guts of XP - the exe's and dll's on the cybernet notebook appear to be much older than on the emachine.

I'm moving this thread out of the Introductions and into the Other PC Databases because the thread is a lot more technical than it is "Hi, I'm new here" in nature.

-PatP
    Suits me - thanks.

Unhappy

did you ever resolve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by sternbe
    did you ever resolve the problem?
    Yes, I did. It turned out that the recalcitrant machine had an old old XP on it - when I let it upgrade itself, the compiler/linker problems went away.

Hi...sorry i join this with a question
    i'm new in this forums, i need help please
    i used to work on computer with specification is 1.8 ghz Intel Pentium and 512 MB Ram and using windows xp, lately my windows xp with sp2 got some trouble so i must reinstall and i bought new windows xp prof edition and the result is very different from my old windows xp, i don't have the old copy of my windows xp.
    right now i can't use clipper and rtlink fi i'm using clipper 5.2 and whenit's come to using program bigger than 1.4 mb i'd got this ntvdm error
    in config.nt and autoexec.nt i already add this line
    autoexec.nt :
    set clipper=f100
    config.nt
    files=100
    buffers=90

what should i do please help me,