Exclamation Unanswered: Creating a Report That looks like a calendar

Does anyone out there know how to create a report that looks like a calendar, attaching stuff about appointment's on those days--customer name, appointment time, basically. The customerid is put into the appointment table and is the primary key of the customer table. If the user asks, say, show me all the appointments for this month, I need to be able to make a calendar for that month that has appointment time, Customer name on each appropriate square. Please help! Thank you in advance for your time and your responses.

Good lord...how many appointments might you have in a day...if you have 6 appointments you'll need a pretty big day square to fit all that information.

Environment:
    Self Taught In ALL Environments.....And It Shows!

Unhappy Unfortunately...

Unfortunately, it is what the customer wants. I would probably end up using something barely readable like arial narrow 8 point because from the purely paper source documents it looks like 8 or 10 appointments a day. What can I say, people who ask you to make these things for them rarely understand the difficulty in making them and because I had never done this sort of thing before I didn't understand the difficulty either. Anyone who can shed some light on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I believe you can group by day and set it to 7 columns. You'll want to seed the query with blank rows to fill out each day to have the same number of rows so it formats each day the same size.

I haven't actually tried this but I concocted a layout that shows all of the components in each drawer of a cabinet, grouped by row and column - each drawer has 6 slots, each row has 6 drawers and there are 10 rows. It took a bunch of fiddling around, but I got it to work across 2 11x17 sheets of paper.

If you want, I can look it up tomorrow to see what I did and post a screen shot of the report.

Of course, there's plenty of software out there that does this type of report already - is it worth reinventing the wheel?

tc

Provided Answers: 59
    I think you should be able to do it, however an Access re[port woizard isn't going to cut it. You may have to create all the controls on the fly, position them appropriately.

an alternative would be to use a subreport for each day.
    use some code in the top level report to set the month / week, and allocate (say) 6 blocks of 5/7 (depends if they work saturdays & sundays) to contain the sub reports. then make each relevant day block visible if its valid.
    if its valid then set the appropriate sub report data and move on.

it'd be a bit of a pig to do, but an interesting challenge nione the less.

perhaps it would be easier to run a copy of outlook locally and use that to store the information.. just a thought. when they want to see theor appointments get 'em to look at outlook

read the outlook data to provide your report(s).

Agree that its going to look cramped in an A4/Letter sheet, perhaps you better tell you client to snap up one of the HP Laserjet 5's that seem to be available to print on A3, or a large format inkjet printer.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 59
    I think you should be able to do it, however an Access report wizard isn't going to cut it. You may have to create all the controls on the fly, position them appropriately.

an alternative would be to use a subreport for each day.
    use some code in the top level report to set the month / week, and allocate (say) 6 blocks of 5/7 (depends if they work saturdays & sundays) to contain the sub reports. then make each relevant day block visible if its valid.
    if its valid then set the appropriate sub report data and move on.

it'd be a bit of a pig to do, but an interesting challenge none the less.

perhaps it would be easier to run a copy of outlook locally and use that to store the information.. just a thought. when they want to see theor appointments get 'em to look at outlook. read the outlook data to provide your report(s).

even printing on A3 (roughly 2 x letter) size you are still only going to be able to use a 12pt font and column width between 50 (7), 60(65) & 80 (5 days). pretty small especailly if they are going to hand write to fill the vacancies.
    it can be doen on A4/ letter, but as said elsewhere will be 8pt and virtually unreadable / unusable
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton