Unanswered: MQPERF.dll performance counters fail to load (was "new member ... with new problem")

Hello to all the members.

I have a SQl server on a Win2000 box. The server is located behind a screened subnet, and has no access to the outside world except for 1433 and 445 inbound from a webserver located in a DMZ, forward of the internal firewall. Rules are very tight, and the IIS box is patched and has been hardened further including running urlscan. (allowed verbs=get,head,post. all executable and script types disallowed, permissions very tight) I have written an appication that monitors bad http requests in real time to check that the URL scan is working, and it seems to be. The only way to get to the SQL box, would be running injection on page code (majority written by myself no raw sql) on the web server or launching an exploit over HTTP against known ADODB flaws on the web server. The SQL server is a domain member, the IIS server is a standalone. If theres a way to compromise the SQL box without first breaching both firewalls, or first compromising the IIS server, I dont know how to do it. Still, the sql box began acting up, refusing to accept a terminal services connection (the error stated that there was a failure to load Win32.sys) No sign that the machine had been compromised. I restored from a complete back up, which seemed to fix the terminal services problem, but now the sql performance counters fail to load. Specifically MQPERF.dll. Any ideas on what may have caused the server to have 'issues' (prevailing theory centers around evil spirits), and what can I do to get the performance counters to load. Tried replacing the library.

Thanks in advance,

VLG

Thank you

vlg

fixed

Still no idea what caused the original problem, but the error message itself was caused when message queuing failed to restore from backup correctly. uninstalling message queuing unloaded the perflib reference and the sql counters will run now without loading the application log.

Thanks again,

vlg

Glad to know it fixed and it may happend due to MDAC version issue on the server, as Win SP4 mixes up the MDAC tools and causing the PERFMON to miss the SQL counters.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]