Unanswered: asking the interviewee to code some PL/SQL (was "Please offer your opinion")

The person who interviews and hires entry level Oracle developers in our shop is not technically oriented ,(not a programmer). She asked, via voicemail, what I thought about asking the interviewee to code some PL/SQL during the interview. I have used technical questions during an interview before but never actually asked someone to write code.

What do you think? If yes, then
    what sort of PL/SQL challenge should be presented? And how much weight should be given to one technical question of this sort?

Thanks,

Cool

Interview questions are bad enough already, but asking someone to code PL/SQL would be just a waste of candidate's time and interviewer's time -- Maybe having a small listing of PL/SQL program and asking the candidate to "interpret" the purpose of the code would be better choice.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

I totally agree with LKBrwn_DBA, it's better to ask the candidate to interpret rather than write code.

Quote Originally Posted by wrwelden
    The person who interviews and hires entry level Oracle developers in our shop is not technically oriented
    which PHB dreamed up this colossal fiasco?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Obviously if the person hiring programmers is not technically minded, there could be problems assessing candidates' abilities.

That aside however, I rather agree with Joel Spolsky that candidates for programming jobs should be asked to demonstrate their abilities during the interview, and writing some code seems the most direct way to achieve that. As someone who has recently been job-hunting, I have been asked to do this and I certainly had no objections. In fact I would prefer more PL/SQL questions and less of the "what are your strengths and weaknesses?" type of nonsense.