Smile Unanswered: Creating Access Reports on the Fly

Greetings everyone! I just found this forum and found this place to be very informative!! Whoever created this is a godsend.

I'm getting into more serious database programming in MS Access and I was really hoping someone can help me.

Is there anyway to build access reports on the fly reading a query? I have a query that will change daily with new column headings/field names (dates).

Instead of adding a new field on the report every day I was trying to find a way to build a report to read the new field on the query.

Are there any report gurus out there. I've been seaching the web on how to do this but to no avail.

I appreciate any help from anyone!!!

Wendy

Provided Answers: 1
    That's a really annoying thing to do. What does this report do for you exactly? If you don't know the format of the table it's reporting on, I can't imagine it's much more than a spreadsheet? Maybe you could just display a dynamic query instead?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Red face RE. Report on the Fly

Hey Teddy:

Thanks for thinking about it,....

Is it? Basically my underlying table has 3 fields/columns. Acct, Date, Amt.

It is accompanied by a crosstab query. As new records with new dates is added in the table the date field/column expands in the crosstab query.

I will have a running columns of 5 days on my report.

I was hoping to find a way for the new dates to link to like unbound txtboxes in the report.

Otherwise I will have to update the control source on the properties on the txtboxes every week.

I was hoping to avoid doing that.

What do you think?

Wendy

Provided Answers: 1
    What does the report itself look like? Do you have grouping and all that jazz or does it look like a spreadsheet, more or less?

maybe a screenshot of your report would help?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 6
    Here's a M$ solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328320/en-us

I use a method from the Access Developer's Handbook
    Paul

Yeah - I came across that MS article when I wanted the same. My impression was that it would be easier to write my own version than try to make sense of theirs - it is a bit bloated for my taste. Then again - it is probably more generic.

Anyhoo - I can post my code if you like
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 6
    I agree; the method in ADH is simpler and cleaner. I've never used the M$ method, but I'm not sure if posting the ADH method would violate copyright laws, so I don't.
    Paul

Wink Re. Reports on the Fly

Hi, thanks Paul for the link. I looked it over and my was starting to get a headache. However, I will try to make some sense out of it.

Hey Pootle flump,

How is the mother country these days. I worked in Surrey, England for about a year. Stayed in a Chateram (spelling error). A little quiet for my taste so I kept visiting London. Couldn't get used to the pint and warm beer,...

Anyway, if you don't mind sharing your version and it doesn't violate any copyright laws and especially if your version is simpler I sure would appreciate it.

Cheers Mate !!
    Wendy

Wink reports on the fly

Hey Pootle Flump,

I was hoping you can send me a copy of your code.

The MSDN one gave me a headache.

That is if you don't mind. My email is wendyc888@gmail.com if you prefer to send via email?

Cheers

Oh the mother country is getting on fine thanks for asking Having said that, she is getting a little feeble and old now and keeps getting pushed around by her adolescent son. I think he plans to bundle her into an old folks home myself.

You need to stick with the warm flat beer - it grows on you.

It was for a client whose data is sensitive. I'll clean up the data and post (I prefer to post than email as it is then in the public domain).
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.